The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Reading info from the Ameraucana breeders forum they based their blacks on gold for better green iridescence. I'm not still not sure if the base makes a difference.
I believe by "based on gold" they mean the gene on the sex-linked silver/gold locus.

http://ameraucanaalliance.org/forum/index.php?topic=33.0

this is the pinned thread from the ameraucana alliance forum. John Blehm discusses which bases make the best colors. I'd trust what he says; the man is a genius on ameraucanas, and the genetics of colors behind them also applies to every other chicken breed.

"I don't think blacks and blues should be based on the same e genes, so they shouldn't be bred together as most of us have done in the past. To get the best blacks they should be based on E, but the best laced blues may be based on ER"- him.
There's a good quote at the bottom; ER makes it more difficult to get solid black males essentially.
Sorry if this was unwanted.

Alittle update on Smarty Pants(Mother of the Chameleon Hen).
20230211_101449_1.gif
20230211_101449_2.gif

20230211_101449_3.gif

20230211_101449_1.gif

Last edited:
I believe by "based on gold" they mean the gene on the sex-linked silver/gold locus.

http://ameraucanaalliance.org/forum/index.php?topic=33.0

this is the pinned thread from the ameraucana alliance forum. John Blehm discusses which bases make the best colors. I'd trust what he says; the man is a genius on ameraucanas, and the genetics of colors behind them also applies to every other chicken breed.

"I don't think blacks and blues should be based on the same e genes, so they shouldn't be bred together as most of us have done in the past. To get the best blacks they should be based on E, but the best laced blues may be based on ER"- him.
There's a good quote at the bottom; ER makes it more difficult to get solid black males essentially.
Sorry if this was unwanted.
Yup, that's the thread I was talking about. I have it bookmarked for reference at home.

I have a few questions for you genetics gurus. I very much appreciate and read this thread whenever I get a chance to try to pick up a thing or two, but I only have some basic knowledge at this point.

I added this guy to this group of meat mutt girls in attempt to downsize them some and up their egg laying ability. I know he looks likes a bantam in there with the chubs, LOL, but he's a 6 month old red sex link cockerel.
It appears to me that he is carrying at least red, black and barred under the dominant white. The red on his wings is barred and he has a few flecks of black here and there.

So my questions are-
Am I right in assuming he only has one copy of dominant white?
That he could produce some more or less solid red, black or blue girls with the hens pictured?
And that those off spring would not have the dominant white gene?
I suppose there could potentially be recessive white under there as well.

Oh and yes, he's a little beat up, he got in a fight with his "brother" before I could make up my mind which one of them to keep.
1676222542650.jpeg

1676222582294.jpeg

1676222949316.jpeg

I have a few questions for you genetics gurus. I very much appreciate and read this thread whenever I get a chance to try to pick up a thing or two, but I only have some basic knowledge at this point.

I added this guy to this group of meat mutt girls in attempt to downsize them some and up their egg laying ability. I know he looks likes a bantam in there with the chubs, LOL, but he's a 6 month old red sex link cockerel.
It appears to me that he is carrying at least red, black and barred under the dominant white. The red on his wings is barred and he has a few flecks of black here and there.

So my questions are-
That he could produce some more or less solid red, black or blue girls with the hens pictured?
I suppose there could potentially be recessive white under there as well.

Oh and yes, he's a little beat up, he got in a fight with his "brother" before I could make up my mind which one of them to keep.
View attachment 3402839

View attachment 3402840
View attachment 3402843
He would also carry Silver.

With him, breeding the ladies you could get some Barred, Black, white, blue, gold/Red, White, & Red, Silver, & Silver Gold Split Males. Lots of potential genetic combinations.

He would also carry Silver.

With him, breeding the ladies you could get some Barred, Black, white, blue, gold/Red, White, & Red, Silver, & Silver Gold Split Males. Lots of potential genetic combinations.
Thank you, that's what I was hoping for, and not just a bunch of boring white. What would the expected outcome be, if he only has one copy of dominant white? 25/75?

Probably yes.
Yes, that should be the case.

Mostly correct. Because Dominant White is dominant, it cannot hide. If a chicken shows large amounts of black or blue, they do not have Dominant White.

But Dominant White does not affect gold or red shades, so a "red" chicken might have Dominant White (example: Red Sexlink hens with white tails) or not have Dominant White (example: Rhode Island Reds with their black tails.)

What would the expected outcome be, if he only has one copy of dominant white? 25/75?
Probably 50/50 for what percent of his chicks show Dominant White.
For example, from a hen who is pure for E (Extended Black), half the chicks will be black and half will be white.

From a hen like that but showing blue, 1/4 of the chicks will be black, 1/4 blue, and 1/2 white (half the whites also having blue, but you can't see it because of the white.)

From a red hen with a black tail, chicks should be:
1/4 red with a black tail
1/4 red with a white tail
1/4 silver with a black tail
1/4 silver with a white trail (i.e. like the rooster)
All of them could have some black or white in other places than the tail (look at Columbian-colored chickens and Red Sexlinks for typical locations of the black or white.)

Back
Top Bottom