The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

IMG_1807.jpeg

Do you think this cockerel will turn out like these roosters? How would I describe these patterns?
IMG_2025.jpeg

IMG_2026.jpeg

Black Australorp rooster x Silver Laced Wyandotte hen: black chicks, chance of silver leakage as they grow up.

Black Australorp rooster x Platinum Sussex hen: probably black chicks, high chance of silver leakage as they grow up.

Black Australorp rooster x Welsummer hen: black chicks, chance of silver or gold/red leakage as they grow up.

Comb type: single from most of the them. If the Wyandotte has a rose comb, some or all of her chicks may have rose combs as well. (Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs, but it is common for them to carry the recessive gene for not-rose comb, which means some of them can produce chicks with single combs.)

The Wyandotte and Welsummer hens probably have yellow feet, with the Sussex hen and Australorp rooster having white feet. All chicks are expected to have white feet, because of which gene is dominant.
Thank you 🙏🏼 My flock is only young, between 15wks - 23wks old. Can’t wait to see how they go come Spring in September & what hatches out ❤️

My SLW does have pea comb as does my ISA x SLW and yellow legs. My Australorps have black legs.

Attachments

• IMG_5751.jpeg
    IMG_5751.jpeg
    596.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5099.jpeg
    IMG_5099.jpeg
    678.2 KB · Views: 6
Thank you 🙏🏼 My flock is only young, between 15wks - 23wks old. Can’t wait to see how they go come Spring in September & what hatches out ❤️

My SLW does have pea comb as does my ISA x SLW and yellow legs. My Australorps have black legs.
Wyandottes have rose combs, not pea. But regardless of what it is called, her chicks have a good chance of matching her comb type. For the ISA x SLW her comb type would also be rose, and about half her chicks should inherit that, with the other half getting a single comb.

Rose combs and pea combs are caused by different genes (and a chicken with both rose and pea comb genes will have a third comb type, which can be called walnut or cushion or strawberry depending on which breed is involved and who is talking about it.)

Yes, Black Australorps have black legs, but the soles of their feet are usually white. When Australorps are crossed with a breed that has yellow soles or yellow feet, the chicks will typically have the same white soles on their feet, even if the other parts of the leg are black. (Looking at the soles of the feet is often a fast way to distinguish Black Australorps from Black Jersey Giants: white soles for the Australorps, yellow for the Jersey Giants.)

Is there any difference between Mille fluer, Jubilee and Speckled?
I think I read that Mille fluer is gold background while Jubilee and speckled are mahogany
Mille Fleur should be mottling on gold columbian. I would expect Wheaten at the e-locus.

Speckled (like Sussex) has mahogany, and considering the chipmunk-striped chicks I expect they have e+ (wild type e-locus.) Spangled Russian Orloffs are about the same: chipmunk chicks, Mahogany, mottling gene, and I'm not sure what else.

"Spangled Cornish" are Dark Cornish (double laced with Mahogany) plus white mottling, on a wild-type base (chipmunk colored chicks, presumably e+ ).

I'm not sure about the Jubilee Orpingtons.

So definitely a difference in gold vs. red, probably a difference in e-locus, chance of other differences too (Columbian gene vs. not, pattern gene in the Spangled Cornish of my example.)

And just for clarity: I mentioned some "spangled" chickens that have the mottling gene. The "spangling" in Hamburgs and Spitzhaubens is caused by other genes, no mottling gene involved.

I'm just curious who the mother is. What color is this baby exactly? The father is a black Sumatra with an unknown mother. The broody hen is 3/4ths American Game and 1/4th Red Junglefowl, but I don't think this baby is hers genetically

She was sitting on an assorted clutch of 3 light green eggs, 1 light blue, 1 off-white, 1 light brown and 1 dark brown

I have one lavender hen on my farm. Is this her baby perhaps? I'm surprised to see such a dark sire produce offspring of this color
85.jpg

I'm just curious who the mother is. What color is this baby exactly? The father is a black Sumatra with an unknown mother. The broody hen is 3/4ths American Game and 1/4th Red Junglefowl, but I don't think this baby is hers genetically

She was sitting on an assorted clutch of 3 light green eggs, 1 light blue, 1 off-white, 1 light brown and 1 dark brown

I have one lavender hen on my farm. Is this her baby perhaps? I'm surprised to see such a dark sire produce offspring of this color
If the father is a pure Black Sumatra, then the chick is not lavender.

Lavender is a recessive gene, so the chick can only show that color if it inherits the gene from both parents-- but a pure Black Sumatra will not have the lavender gene.

I think the chick is most likely blue. For a chicken to be blue, it needs one blue gene and one not-blue gene. Two blue genes make splash. The Black Sumatra does not have any blue genes, so if the chick is blue, it inherited one blue gene from the mother. That means the mother must be either blue or splash (one blue gene or two, either way lets her give one blue gene to her chick.)

The mother might have blue or splash all over (like Blue Andalusians do) or she might have it just in some places (like Blue Laced Red Wyandottes do) or she might even be white so you can't see any actual blue or splash on her.

Seeing the feathers when they grow will make it easier to figure out, whether it is actually blue or not, and what it is.

Okay @NatJ or @nicalandia I’m having a tough time seeing these babies hatching from what I thought was a black pen.

Rooster, whom I have shown multiple times as a Black Ameraucana.

F01571E4-35FD-4FDA-8707-3B94F4FD826E.jpeg

1D45ECC6-62A3-4C5E-9562-0BB2D3E079FB.jpeg

2F295331-D00C-41DE-AFA7-F83AFC6FFB94.jpeg

Here is the hen -
932EEDE3-AD80-4CDE-834E-EA411F91A51C.jpeg

5C9737B2-05AA-4799-8D9C-09630D978E91.jpeg

Their babies so far -
1414FC89-B1E2-4E09-AC08-D76496E63C99.jpeg

8056A555-E0F9-4BA2-864C-FAF00D31AAAD.jpeg

58FFEA49-0785-4E59-AE9A-C0EA1DCFEDE9.jpeg

1E980E1D-4FBE-49FE-BAA0-AE1BE163F205.jpeg

Is that rooster blue?!? And if so, I still think the hen is black…so I shouldn’t be getting splash right?? What is happening?? 😆 They’re in a breeding pen all by themselves and I’d take one as a mislabel…but I’m getting a LOT of blue/splash like birds! The breeder of the rooster insists they do not carry lavender either. 🤪 This is not what I was expecting and I fell perplexed! 🤪

Okay @NatJ or @nicalandia I’m having a tough time seeing these babies hatching from what I thought was a black pen.

Rooster, whom I have shown multiple times as a Black Ameraucana.

View attachment 3754679
View attachment 3754681
View attachment 3754683

Here is the hen -
View attachment 3754685
View attachment 3754686

Their babies so far -
View attachment 3754687
View attachment 3754688
View attachment 3754689
View attachment 3754690

Is that rooster blue?!? And if so, I still think the hen is black…so I shouldn’t be getting splash right?? What is happening?? 😆 They’re in a breeding pen all by themselves and I’d take one as a mislabel…but I’m getting a LOT of blue/splash like birds! The breeder of the rooster insists they do not carry lavender either. 🤪 This is not what I was expecting and I fell perplexed! 🤪
I don't know either. Blue, lavender or white.

Back
Top Bottom