The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Pics
Ah ha! So it is Silver that is cancelling out that wheaten then. Thank you! The Wheaten curveball has really been throwing me for a loop.
No.

It's Columbian that is turning the natural salmon color of Silver Wheaten(for example Faverolle hens are Silver and Wheaten and they have a nice salmon color to them)

eWh/eWh, co+/co+, S/- hen (Salmon Faverolle)
1645224995186.png

eWh/eWh, Co/Co, S/- hen (Columbian/Light Faverolle)

1645225251575.png

Last edited:
Intriguing example. Is there a reason we're not also bringing the IG locus into this? - It seems that the gold Inhibitor is coming into play here

In your Salmon Faverolle/Delaware example.....immediately it brought to my attention that we were leaving IG out of the compare/contrast . Does this locus affect wheaten also?

In your Salmon Faverolle/Delaware example.....immediately it brought to my attention that we were leaving IG out of the compare/contrast . Does this locus affect wheaten also?
It affects all eumelanin feathers(gold/silver), cream columbian based breeds are of a cream color, but Delawares don't have ig cream.

Citron Sebright are gold based with ig diluter

1645285658449.png

Gold Sebright
1645285732672.png

Silver Sebright

1645285762574.png

Last edited:
This leads me to ask about something else if you don't mind (only because we're kind of on the topic of delaware/columbian genes already). I've been perplexed as to how I could have ended up with what looks like 2 delaware/columbian patterned babies, but instead of being white based.......they are" buff " based in appearance. They are clearly some sort of sport or mutation. I was awestruck when they feathered out. The only columbian patterned birds I have are either the delaware mommas......and also an ff banty hen (the spurred hen previously mentioned) who is also silver columbian in appearance. How in the world did i end up with buff columbians? I do not have any buff parent stock whatsoever.

Last edited:
This leads me to ask about something else if you don't mind (only because we're kind of on the topic of delaware/columbian genes already). I've been perplexed as to how I could have ended up with what looks like 2 delaware/columbian patterned babies, but instead of being white based.......they are" buff " based in appearance. They are clearly some sort of sport or mutation. I was awestruck when they feathered out. The only columbian patterned birds I have are either the delaware mommas......and also an ff banty hen (the spurred hen previously mentioned) who is also silver columbian in appearance. How in the world did i end up with buff columbians? I do not have any buff stock whatsoever.....
Pictures of the parents please

I have another question. It’s less to do with genes but rather color recognition. I have a hedemora chick that I hatched out from greenfire. They say that hedemora can be basically any color and I obviously don’t have info on parents but it’s fibro with what looks like lavender to me but could be white. I was curious to know if there was a way to tell the difference. Doesn’t look grey or blue to me. They’re 2 weeks. Fluff looks green/teal tint in the sunlight.

6A7CD061-5A3D-4321-9439-037795FF7414.jpeg

0C233999-4C33-4485-8F32-EBE8DF15BF51.jpeg

Also here’s the updated pic of the fayoumi mix I asked about if anyone is curious.
4D9C0222-81C4-4AFD-945B-ED58465165DE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom