The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Pics
This is him in 2019. He has changed some with a couple of molts.
1650711356927.jpeg

I was hoping to identify the mothers at hatch. I also have him over Australops , which should be all black.
I think you've got a chance of identifying who the mother is at hatch, and a better chance of identifying the mothers after the chicks grow a bunch of feathers.

The down color at hatch is based mostly on what genes the chick has at the e locus, and I can't tell what the rooster has there. If he's got E (Extended Black), then his chicks might all show the down typical of black chicks, even though they will probably show various amounts of red as they grow up. If he has just about any other allele at the e locus, his chicks with the RIR should show some amount of red or brown at hatch, and you will be able to recognize them. Of course, he might be heterozygous (two different alleles at the e locus), which might mean you could recognize half of the chicks from the RIR but not the other half.

If you are hatching in an incubator, and if you know which eggs came from which hens, you can put eggs in mesh bags to hatch. Then you know for sure which group of chicks came from which group of eggs. Or if you're hatching under hens, you could give different-breed eggs to different hens.

Thank you

Embarrassingly I can’t tell the RIR eggs from the BA. I have 4 RIR and 2 BA and a couple others that share two nest boxes. The egg color and shape are very similar. Hopefully I will see some differences in the chicks when they hatch.

Thank you

Embarrassingly I can’t tell the RIR eggs from the BA. I have 4 RIR and 2 BA and a couple others that share two nest boxes. The egg color and shape are very similar. Hopefully I will see some differences in the chicks when they hatch.

Agreed. No need for embarrassment.

I marvel at the people who can tell all their hens' eggs apart. Almost all of mine are close to the same color, the same shape, and the same size.

Thank you

So he is Isabel something 😂. He is definitely different than my CCO rooster in barring and build. I say Crele because his parents were
supposed to be Crele. My RIR are very very dark

I was hoping to identify the mothers at hatch. I also have him over Australops , which should be all black.
He’s not quite isabel, either. I would simply call him a mixed color, or perhaps a “lavender cuckoo with leakage”.

I apologize if I seemed sarcastic in a previous post, I did not mean it like it must have sounded. I really, really am serious about learning about Chocolate genetics and if you would be so kind I want to ask a fw questions.?
I was so happy to have found you and look forward to conversating with you I feel terrible I screwed up the first thing i said!!! :th

I apologize if I seemed sarcastic in a previous post, I did not mean it like it must have sounded. I really, really am serious about learning about Chocolate genetics and if you would be so kind I want to ask a fw questions.?
I was so happy to have found you and look forward to conversating with you I feel terrible I screwed up the first thing i said!!! :th
If you want nicalandia to notice posts in this thread, you have to include a tag.
Just type the @ sign and then the member name.
Example with yours: @SonRise Silkies

@nicalandia
1. what potential chick colors could occur if a white roo who is the offspring of two black parents is bred to a paint hen?

2. What potential chick color would chicks look like if a lavender and a buff are bred? (first generation blue cream) And in 2nd generation & on to make blue creams what should the offspring be bred to (Lav or buff?)

3. What potential chick colors would chicks be if a lavender roo is bred to a white or a paint hen?

Back
Top Bottom