The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

What should I expect from a "lemon blue" (Isabel) Hedemora rooster (he's a little fibro with black shin and mulberry comb/wattles) and a 55 flowery hen?
I'm not sure whether "lemon blue (Isabel)" means he has the blue gene or the lavender gene.

If the rooster has blue, and the hen does not, then half the chicks will have blue and half the chicks will not.

Or, if the rooster has lavender and the hen does not, none of the chicks will show lavender, but all of them will carry the lavender gene.

55 Flowery hens have mottling (the little dots), which is caused by a recessive gene. So none of the chicks will show that trait.

I think it is most likely that you will get some chicks showing black & gold, with others having the gold diluted to a light color, or the black diluted to blue, or both. They will probably not show the "flowered" pattern of their mother, but will probably have the colors arranged more like their father has (not exactly, just somewhat like that.)

The black skin & wattles may show up in some of the chicks, or it may not.

I don't think it's related to Extended Black, one reason I'm gonna experiment next year, to see what happens.(The Black hen is 2yrs old)

My suspicions say it's related to the barring. It's more of a pattern, not really random.View attachment 3237071View attachment 3237072

White in Australorp plumage is usually either a flaw, or old age.
Well, this was my hen, I don’t know if I have a picture of her fluff.
5B70CBA0-F699-46FD-92CE-EC198258C5C6.jpeg
65BBF952-A630-4D80-BD86-97C6E4178BCE.jpeg
14D91B4E-7BAF-400B-8E89-15184D8E529A.jpeg

I'm not sure whether "lemon blue (Isabel)" means he has the blue gene or the lavender gene.

If the rooster has blue, and the hen does not, then half the chicks will have blue and half the chicks will not.

Or, if the rooster has lavender and the hen does not, none of the chicks will show lavender, but all of them will carry the lavender gene.

55 Flowery hens have mottling (the little dots), which is caused by a recessive gene. So none of the chicks will show that trait.

I think it is most likely that you will get some chicks showing black & gold, with others having the gold diluted to a light color, or the black diluted to blue, or both. They will probably not show the "flowered" pattern of their mother, but will probably have the colors arranged more like their father has (not exactly, just somewhat like that.)

The black skin & wattles may show up in some of the chicks, or it may not.
Thank you for your response. I posted a thread about it here. I have pics of the rooster there. The hedemora people call the color lemon blue but I was told by them (the hedemora group on Facebook) that it is genetically the same as Isabel. I’ll post pictures of the chicks there today now that they are starting to feather in a little more.

Thank you for your response. I posted a thread about it here. I have pics of the rooster there. The hedemora people call the color lemon blue but I was told by them (the hedemora group on Facebook) that it is genetically the same as Isabel. I’ll post pictures of the chicks there today now that they are starting to feather in a little more.
OK, after looking at those photos, I think the rooster has lavender, not blue. So with the 55 flowery hen I would expect chicks that show black and gold, maybe resembling the color called "Black Breasted Red" or "Gold Duckwing." Or maybe looking like Wheaten instead (different hen color, pretty much the same rooster color.) The chicks will carry both lavender (from the father) and mottling (from the mother), but will not show either one.

@nicalandia

There has been some discussion on the Picture of the Week thread about my super-dark Blue Australorp pullet, Charcoal:

0809221017f-jpg.3235987

Some people aren't believing that I don't have any Silkie-cross, Ayam Cerami-cross, etc. birds and that she's just gypsy-faced.

So I managed to catch her today and get some bad, awkwardly-posed photos to more clearly show her features -- including the white soles on her feet -- to prove that she doesn't actually have black skin.

0829221439c.jpg
0829221440a.jpg

In the sunlight it's clear to see that she's NOT black.

0829221441_HDR.jpg

Unlike her hatchmate, whom you ID'd as half California White in this post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/0809221017f-jpg.3235987/ who is clearly black:

0829221443a.jpg

I may have another of these very dark blues in my youngest batch too, but I can't be sure for a while since it's only 8-9 weeks old:

0829221438_HDR.jpg

Any idea what's going on with her genetically? Just the natural variability in shades of blue or something specific?

Back
Top Bottom