The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

What color of leghorn?
White is the most readily available, and they tend to be the best layers. Genetically speaking, red would be easier to work with, and should already have the right genes to turn gold into red, but Red Leghorns are much less common. Brown Leghorns should work too, and seem to be more common than Red but less than White.

No matter which way you do it, it's going to take you quite a few generations to get good Leghorn-type birds who also have nice lacing.

Some White Leghorns carry blue, so you might be able to pick up blue lacing as well if you start with White Leghorns plus gold laced birds (black lacing on gold.) But the disadvantage is you will get many more wrong-color chicks along the way, than if you start with the Red or Brown Leghorns.

What color of leghorn?
White is the most readily available, and they tend to be the best layers. Genetically speaking, red would be easier to work with, and should already have the right genes to turn gold into red, but Red Leghorns are much less common. Brown Leghorns should work too, and seem to be more common than Red but less than White.

No matter which way you do it, it's going to take you quite a few generations to get good Leghorn-type birds who also have nice lacing.

Some White Leghorns carry blue, so you might be able to pick up blue lacing as well if you start with White Leghorns plus gold laced birds (black lacing on gold.) But the disadvantage is you will get many more wrong-color chicks along the way, than if you start with the Red or Brown Leghorns.
If you’re breeding buff laced/white laced red, I would use white leghorns, since they already have dominant white (which is needed for buff lacing).

It's a lovely coloration.
I think so too. I hatched out a really pretty blue/buff pullet this year.
1665185863188.jpeg

1665185898858.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm here all the time, & have the time between each thing I do in the day to post.

I find the the time to post.

Yesterday I didn't have that much time though, just alittle bit in the morning, then I had to weed the garden out half the day with my sister, then we butchered turkeys. Later I was able to post again yesterday.
love the way you manage to organise your self to get every thing done .
Bravo . we should have more peoples like you in this planet . that will be great .
Chooks man

love the way you manage to organise your self to get every thing done .
Bravo . we should have more peoples like you in this planet . that will be great .
Chooks man
Most of the things done anyways. Still need to rake up pine needles, & bark for the coop runs. Also, need to clean the coops before the snow flies.

Back
Top Bottom