The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I like this color of hen.
Yes, it's quite difficult to get an even Gold/Orange/Red Color on Silver based hens. The closest to what you are looking for are Amber Links which are eWh/eWh, Co/Co, Mh/Mh, Ar/Ar and Silver. But with dominant white(so wait tail instead of chocolate tail)

1669666789470.png

Yes, it's quite difficult to get an even Gold/Orange/Red Color on Silver based hens. The closest to what you are looking for are Amber Links which are eWh/eWh, Co/Co, Mh/Mh, Ar/Ar and Silver. But with dominant white(so wait tail instead of chocolate tail)

View attachment 3335200
I haven't seen an AmberLink that dark.

I have a hard time believing yhat free ranging a bird alone causes them to produce a different egg color
I can testify to it; the bloom can change the shade quite a lot, though I have not yet discovered what food produces what shade (I think the cause here at least is dietary not light / vit D related). So I have a penedesenca whose eggs are normally a mid brown but sometimes look light mauve/lilac/plum, and a mixed breed whose eggs are normally fawn but are sometimes distinctly pink, with or without white speckles. And a welsummer whose eggs are sometimes dark, sometimes not, and sometimes speckled in either variety of brown.

Many external factors can change the hens brown pigment deposition, excess of vitamin D(from sunlight) will produce pale brown eggs, that has been a known issue for free range producers.

Google this:

Relationship between time spent in the winter garden and shell colour in brown egg stock
Oohh, okay, I get it. I wasn't thinking vitamins, I was thinking more like how sun will fade dark furs. I get it now, thanks

So these two gals have light blue on their tails and bodies. That means that no matter how dark it is, their heads are also blue, correct? They aren't half blue and half black?
Blue has a hard time diluting Melanotic which melanizes the top of the head and most of the head. This is more evident on Extended black birds.

1669677923607.png

Back
Top Bottom