The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

My goal is towards porcelain color.
I have a lavender/black split bantam cochin and she is black but she should carry the lavender gene I need for porcelain.
I have these 3 guys...what would she give me from each?
Over generations would I ever get closer to porcelain?
First guy is a calico cochin
20221121_093154.jpg

And the next two knuckleheads are satins...one blue mottled and one columbian.

Last edited:
A long time ago I had an idea for a chicken breed do you know if this bird could actually exist and what breeds would you need to use

The bird would be all black (skin, feather, bones, etc) lay blue eggs and have a full crest, muffs, and feathered feet a buttercup comb and five toes and roosters would have that weirdly long crow where they sound like there laughing (like the laughing chicken) plus usually long tail feathers

A long time ago I had an idea for a chicken breed do you know if this bird could actually exist and what breeds would you need to use

The bird would be all black (skin, feather, bones, etc) lay blue eggs and have a full crest, muffs, and feathered feet a buttercup comb and five toes and roosters would have that weirdly long crow where they sound like there laughing (like the laughing chicken) plus usually long tail feathers
Genetically possible, probably yes.
Easy, probably not.

You would probably want to start with black Silkies (black feathers, skin, bones, etc; also have crest, feathered feet, 5 toes, and sometimes have muff/beard.) That breed has the largest number of traits you want, so they should be a good starting point.

You would need to get the blue egg gene from somewhere, maybe a Cream Legbar. If you ultimately want a buttercup comb, then do not start with a pea-comb blue layer. The blue egg gene is genetically linked to the pea comb gene, so they tend to get inherited together. A Cream Legbar will have the blue egg gene linked to not-pea comb, which is the way you want it.

For a buttercup comb, you will need to breed in a Buttercup. That comb may look odd with a crest, so you might consider a V-comb instead (from a Polish, Houdan, Brabanter, or some such breed.)

The long crowing would have to come from a long-crowing breed, and I don't know how hard or easy it would be to transfer that in genetically.

I have a lavender/black split bantam cochin and she is black.
View attachment 3341809

You can input on this on the calculator.

Hen is E/E, Lav+/lav

Rooster is: eb/eb, Lav+/Lav+,

So 50% will be E/eb, Lav+/lav and 50% will be eb/eb, Lav+/lav
I have a lavender/black split bantam cochin and she is black but she should carry the lavender gene I need for porcelain.

I would rather stick with the Cochin. I just don't want to comment on The Unexpected nature of EEs.

The issue with your Black Pullet that has Lavender hidden is that she will pass it to 50% of her offspring and we just don't know who those will be.

Well that's a lot of mutations combined into one chicken. Black with Dark Skin that lay blue eggs can be seen on Quechua and native chickens from South America. many with crest and muffs(like british Araucanas)
British Ameraucana
1670334672283.png

Quechua Rooster with black skin

1670334801535.png

The rest of the mutations you listed(5 toes) and feather shanks can be source from a Faverolle hen

1670334956016.png

I would stop just right there.

Back
Top Bottom