The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Couple updated picture of Pea.
It's hard getting pictures of white, & super diluted feathers on a Reddish/tan bird. Had to ruffle her feathers abit to make them stand out. She's not going to look as dramatic as my first bird.
20221207_111827.jpg
20221207_111925.jpg

I noticed on some of the smaller Parrot Beak Aseel hens(Mainly the black ones), they have Gypsy Face. Is this from crossing with Sumatras at some point during their creation?

Where does the Gypsy Face come from?View attachment 3344098
Gypsy face is often found on Extended Black pullets and Birchen pullets, as they grow their face gets redder, but some will remain dark. It's just one of many genes found on chickens that probably dates back many thousands of years ago

Since I am trying to train my eye for things like this and understand what causes it, I'm wondering what can cause sort of blotchy / almost mossy white flecks on an otherwise solid-colored bird? Just missing melanizing genes? I know hetero mottling can cause white flecks, but this doesn't seem like what I would expect from that? He also has a tiny bit of gold leakage in his hackles you can see in the first picture. He's about 6 months old now, but I only noticed this on him within the past month.

1670510142740.png

1670510295868.png

Since I am trying to train my eye for things like this and understand what causes it, I'm wondering what can cause sort of blotchy / almost mossy white flecks on an otherwise solid-colored bird? Just missing melanizing genes? I know hetero mottling can cause white flecks, but this doesn't seem like what I would expect from that? He also has a tiny bit of gold leakage in his hackles you can see in the first picture. He's about 6 months old now, but I only noticed this on him within the past month.

View attachment 3344147
View attachment 3344149
Reminds me of my color changing hen in the beginning of her molt.
20220824_081139.jpg
20220824_081640.jpg
20220824_081456.jpg

I won't be pleased if he starts turning white like your bird. He's supposed to be a Chocolate Cochin bantam, but he has white skin from the Chocolate Orpington bantams that they introduced the gene into the breed with, and his hatchmates have absolutely dreadful foot feathering. :rolleyes: Good thing they're cute and fit in well in my mixed flock.

Back
Top Bottom