The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Genetic it's a pretty strait forward science, Out-crosses and Back-crosses are done to identify genes and mutations. If a solid lavender bird when cross to a partridge bird produces duckwing phenotype this means that the solid lavender bird in question is not pure for the Extended Black e allele.
thank you; that's very helpful for clarifying that the dame is not pure.

The same pair also produced a pullet who is a month younger than that silver duckwing cockerel; can you tell from her phenotype what the dame's impurity might be?
Hafod 4 mnths.JPG

thank you; that's very helpful for clarifying that the dame is not pure.

The same pair also produced a pullet who is a month younger than that silver duckwing cockerel; can you tell from her phenotype what the dame's impurity might be?
The dame is just likely E/eb. The pullet on the picture look like a dark partridge eb

Last edited:
yes his mum looks just like that.

I have wondered if she was not pure because her eggs are only faint blue.

If he's got a beard, it's a very small one, and not visible in any photos I've got of him.

The photo below is of the bird that was his dad, I think
View attachment 3370842
Do you have a picture of the mother? When you said lavender I assumed you meant isabel.

thank you kindly @3KillerBs @RoostersAreAwesome and @NagemTX
3 different answers so far, so I guess it isn't obvious, and I don't feel such a numpty now :p

on the silver duckwing suggestion, I have a silver duckwing welsummer hen but I don't think she was the mum/grandmother, because this guy has a pea comb and the only hen I have with a pea comb is the lavender araucana. Or can pea combs be hidden by straight or coronation combs? (no other type here)
I think we can all agree that he has the silver gene, and must have got it from his mother, since his father is pure for gold.

Back
Top Bottom