The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I was literally typing just about the same question. If she's been around any other roosters at all within the past 2-3 weeks, whether you've seen them breed or not, then this test isn't really going to prove anything conclusively. ;)
Just recently we did a test hatch from a hen that had been away from a rooster for 18 days. The eggs gathered on day 18 and 19 of being away from the rooster both hatched. I knew that they can be fertile for awhile, but that surprised me a bit.
I have also noticed that the eggs from a clean hen are usually not fertile until day 3-4 from being bred by the rooster.

Just recently we did a test hatch from a hen that had been away from a rooster for 18 days. The eggs gathered on day 18 and 19 of being away from the rooster both hatched. I knew that they can be fertile for awhile, but that surprised me a bit.

Exactly my point. I believe @3KillerBs has a similar story of fertility from a specific rooster lasting much longer than expected after said rooster was removed as well.

I have also noticed that the eggs from a clean hen are usually not fertile until day 3-4 from being bred by the rooster.

That's an interesting note! I haven't yet had any situation where I would have been able to see that, myself.

I don't have an all female flock, but I've been doing pretty good with breeding specific birds regardless of other existing roosters.

Then this won't really prove anything... :hmm

Exactly my point. I believe @3KillerBs has a similar story of fertility from a specific rooster lasting much longer than expected after said rooster was removed as well.

That's an interesting note! I haven't yet had any situation where I would have been able to see that, myself.

Then this won't really prove anything... :hmm
I use the landrancing technique. I still breed purebreds regardless if there's other breeds in the flocks.
Post in thread 'What are the rarest breeds of poultry? How many are there? And how can we save them?' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...nd-how-can-we-save-them.1576637/post-26786866

Also the Sumatra hen isn't with any Khakis, so it would prove regardless now that she's been bred to one. I know what I'm doing, & have been doing these kinds of breedings for years.

I use the landrancing technique. I still breed purebreds regardless if there's other breeds in the flocks.
Post in thread 'What are the rarest breeds of poultry? How many are there? And how can we save them?' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...nd-how-can-we-save-them.1576637/post-26786866

Also the Sumatra hen isn't with any Khakis, so it would prove regardless now that she's been bred to one. I know what I'm doing, & have been doing these kinds of breedings for years.

That landracing technique is about running groups of the SAME BREED AND VARIETY together and keeping some of the resulting chicks for added vigor among your individual flocks of that breed and variety. It straight up says that in the post you linked. This is because, as that post also says, the birds will interbreed as they see fit, not based on the appearance of their mate as we humans want them to. Landracing does not mean throw every breed together and you'll definitely get pure chicks out of that mess. I have no idea how you got that from that post. :idunno

I have seen some of the birds you claimed to be pure from your 'years of doing breedings like this'. Suffice it to say, I still don't agree on how successful you've been there. But, yes, end of discussion there. Rehashing it won't do anything anyway, as history has proven.

Last edited:
That landracing technique is about running groups of the SAME BREED AND VARIETY together and keeping some of those birds for genetic diversity among your individual flocks of that breed and variety. It straight up says that in the post you linked. This is because, as that post also says, the birds will interbreed as they see fit, not based on the appearance of their mate as we humans want them to. Landracing does not mean throw every breed together and you'll definitely get pure chicks out of that mess. I have no idea how you got that from that post. :idunno

I have seen some of the birds you claimed to be pure from your 'years of doing breedings like this'. Suffice it to say, I still don't agree on how successful you've been there. But, yes, end of discussion there. Rehashing it won't do anything anyway, as history has proven.
I've been successful, believe me. But I'm ending the conversation right now.

Landrancing can involve mixing variations of the same breed, or mixing in another breed for 1 generation before back crossing.

Quoted from the post I linked.
Several breeders have outcrossed to black or splash. I outcrossed to Easter Eggers.
So, they used a breed, most don't consider a breed.

Uh-huh, but that's still not running all sorts of breeds together and producing pure chicks like you're claiming you do with questionable results. That's outcrossing with a purpose.

But you know what, you keep thinking whatever you want and 'proving your point' with cherrypicked sentences. I think it's time I take a break from this thread again. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom