The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Don't know anything about Khaki, but my Blue Australorps rooster x my California White hens have produced Blue or Black or White with either little flecks of color or actual paint markings (since CWs carry Barring as well as Dominant White). It should be possible to get single-barred males from this cross in either black or blue, but I haven't yet.
Okay, it's weird that none of the chicks had dark, blue, or black spots on them indicating paint markings.

Assuming the dominant white parent is pure for the gene, dominant white x blue would produce roughly equal numbers of paint and blue paint offspring.

While the dun gene is partially dominant like blue and thus its inheritance can be summed up in the same way, its similarities stop there. Khaki, while the dun equivalent of blue's splash, doesn't have flecks like splash does and instead is an even coloring overall that may be darker or lighter depending on the presence or absence of melanizers.
Good to know, for both.

Though I did read in one thread that Dun, does leak black sometimes. (Khaki X Black)
But Khaki is solid, completely?

Good to know, for both.

Though I did read in one thread that Dun, does leak black sometimes. (Khaki X Black)
But Khaki is solid, completely?

Heterozygous dun (I^d/i+) does occasionally let a black feather through, similarly to how heterozygous dominant white (I/i+) that it is allelic to does, but I have never seen in my birds nor heard of anyone else seeing in their birds any sort of flecking in the khaki homozygotes for dun (I^d/I^d). I have seen where khaki males may get a darkened hackle and saddle patterning similarly to other dilutions of extended black, however, although that's not really the same thing I suppose.

@nicalandia Hello. I have several black crested white polish from Ideal. All of them show spotting, reminiscent of the spangling of the spitzhauben, on their chests, undersides, and hackles. Some have it venture further into their bodies, but most of them have clear white feathers on their backs, topside of wings, and cushions.
Is there any way these birds could still carry Columbia restriction? I have photos for examples of their coloring.
-bird 1
-
72B1022D-9624-42BC-98AA-A9A1E3A2AC27.jpeg
7FD07C34-DD46-4250-A375-762D017888C0.jpeg

-bird 2

9AF9C68B-402D-4CD6-8DD5-8621663D547D.jpeg
1B79E8C3-754D-4D93-89EB-921BB66B6F66.jpeg

-bird 3

12234F87-05EB-43EC-84D7-61C8F7409CF8.jpeg

Last edited:
@nicalandia Hello. I have several black crested white polish from Ideal. All of them show spotting, reminiscent of the spangling of the spitzhauben, on their chests, undersides, and hackles. Some have it venture further into their bodies, but most of them have clear white feathers on their backs, topside of wings, and cushions.
Is there any way these birds could still carry Columbia restriction? I have photos for examples of their coloring.
-bird 1
-View attachment 3558576View attachment 3558577
-bird 2

View attachment 3558578View attachment 3558579
-bird 3

View attachment 3558580
Db should be the only restrictor

Sadly I just can't get Black Leghorns so I might give your "Recipe" a try. Start with a Black Minocoras male over what .. a Brown Leghorn ?

Thanks..

I think I can get buff. Had not thought about them. So I will give buff a go. Black male Minocoras over buff female.... we will see...

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom