The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

This has completely blown my mind, I’m glad I have come across this information for when I put my roosters with the hens I want to breed. I can put them in the pen for a day and they would be fertile for 4 weeks? And then they won’t be over mated by the rooster. Or would I have to keep them in there together for a couple of days?

I agree with Jacin on leaving them together a few days at least, but it really depends on a lot of factors. Age and vigor of the rooster, receptiveness of the hens, compatibility with one another, etc. Chickens tend to play by the rule that if you're expecting something to go one way, it'll go the opposite way. That's not a serious statement, I should clarify! But I just recently lost a rooster from one of my pens and the eggs I set to try and get one last batch from him were mostly clear just a week and a half after when I suspect he stopped breeding his hens, give or take a few days. 🙁 So eggs remaining fertile for 4 weeks beyond when the rooster is removed is certainly not a guarantee. For the best fertility, it's best to just keep your rooster with the hens you want him fathering chicks out of.

This has completely blown my mind, I’m glad I have come across this information for when I put my roosters with the hens I want to breed. I can put them in the pen for a day and they would be fertile for 4 weeks? And then they won’t be over mated by the rooster. Or would I have to keep them in there together for a couple of days?

That depends.

Sometimes hens won't accept a rooster right away. They may refuse to squat until he either impresses them sufficiently or forces them to submit (chicken mating can be pretty rough by human standards). They also have some ability to eject sperm from roosters they don't like.

Hi guys, gals, folks, etc. uhm, fun chicken party smart people!

So 2 of my "Welbar" (females) from Ideal hatchery have developed crests at about 5 weeks old.

*If* they happen to be Legbar (yet to be determined).. would they still breed true for the auto sexing trait if bred together (with Welbar sire).. Or am I asking for trouble?

And what hopes would there be for olive eggers if any? Can the Olive egger progeny be bred back together to lock in those traits or is that not how it works?

Anybody know why Welbar seem so unpopular?

TIA!

Hi guys, gals, folks, etc. uhm, fun chicken party smart people!

So 2 of my "Welbar" (females) from Ideal hatchery have developed crests at about 5 weeks old.

*If* they happen to be Legbar (yet to be determined).. would they still breed true for the auto sexing trait if bred together (with Welbar sire).. Or am I asking for trouble?

And what hopes would there be for olive eggers if any? Can the Olive egger progeny be bred back together to lock in those traits or is that not how it works?

Anybody know why Welbar seem so unpopular?

TIA!
They might be WelbarxLegbar cross too. In any event if the are barred and wildtype they will produce autosexing chicks if bred to Welbar Rooster

One of my young recessive white Watermaal cockerels has a black feather on his neck, he's from a pen with a recessive white rooster over recessive white and black hens, would this be considered leakage or is it just juvenile feathers being weird? They're about 12 weeks now. Please ignore how muddy he is, they're little piggies and love playing in the one muddy spot in their pen.

360246470_818988523053671_8281528665327481192_n.jpg

One of my young recessive white Watermaal cockerels has a black feather on his neck, he's from a pen with a recessive white rooster over recessive white and black hens, would this be considered leakage or is it just juvenile feathers being weird? They're about 12 weeks now. Please ignore how muddy he is, they're little piggies and love playing in the one muddy spot in their pen.

View attachment 3577551
My phoenixes have a recessive white that shows up with scattered brown/black and orange feathers on the individuals. Lemme seenif I can find the article I go back to to explain it

View attachment 3577551
Leakage. Recessive white (or some recessive whites?) can let a lot of color through. I've had black breasted reds with recessive white that looked like red pyles.

Back
Top Bottom