The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I would like to know more about the genetics of color in Sumatras.

What I think I've gleaned so far is that they have lacing hidden under the solid black. Do you know of any other plumage traits that may be uncovered in crosses?

These birds also seem to have yellow soles of their feet, but I understand the melanistic gene is supposed to be relatively ineffective over yellow. What's going on there?

Thanks!

If I'm breeding polish bantams, is there a chance a random chick will be born with frizzle feathers? The breeder I got my WC chocolates from said she had been breeding frizzles at some point, but didn't state any relationship between those and the smooths I have, so there may be some genes there or may not be. Thanks for your input I appreciate it 😊

If I'm breeding polish bantams, is there a chance a random chick will be born with frizzle feathers? The breeder I got my WC chocolates from said she had been breeding frizzles at some point, but didn't state any relationship between those and the smooths I have, so there may be some genes there or may not be. Thanks for your input I appreciate it 😊
If neither parent is frizzled, the chicks will not be

Is he a booted bantam or a beard less D’Uccles? I got him at Atwood’s
35ED5242-B928-4495-A66F-71B1EE60AF59.jpeg
C704DD24-48AC-4F98-8D56-FE91E9DAEF35.jpeg

I also believe that this lady is a booted. She is 3-4 yrs and has been waiting patiently for a boyfriend. Also got her at Atwood’s
EBE8F8AB-8F7D-4AC4-81E7-034CE1445270.jpeg

I don't know where Atwoods gets their chicks, but most likely these birds are out of d'Uccles and just didn't inherit the gene for beards. Technically speaking, though many refer to beardless d'Uccles as Booted bantams, they are not really the same thing. D'Uccles are generally more stout and shorter than Booted bantams, more closely resembling the d'Anver breed but with feathered legs and a different comb. You can see this in the second, more mature bird you posted. Your cockerel looks more narrow and leggy like a Booted bantam right now, but he's still young and has a lot of filling in to do. I would wager he'll be more stout like a d'Uccle after a year of filling in. In short, they are both most likely actually beardless d'Uccles. 🙂

I don't know where Atwoods gets their chicks, but most likely these birds are out of d'Uccles and just didn't inherit the gene for beards. Technically speaking, though many refer to beardless d'Uccles as Booted bantams, they are not really the same thing. D'Uccles are generally more stout and shorter than Booted bantams, more closely resembling the d'Anver breed but with feathered legs and a different comb. You can see this in the second, more mature bird you posted. Your cockerel looks more narrow and leggy like a Booted bantam right now, but he's still young and has a lot of filling in to do. I would wager he'll be more stout like a d'Uccle after a year of filling in. In short, they are both most likely actually beardless d'Uccles. 🙂
Ok thank you. Was kinda hoping to have boots. Is there anyway to breed to get further generations to get “booted bantam”? Edit: I believe they get them from Ideal Poultry

I would like to know more about the genetics of color in Sumatras.

What I think I've gleaned so far is that they have lacing hidden under the solid black. Do you know of any other plumage traits that may be uncovered in crosses?

These birds also seem to have yellow soles of their feet, but I understand the melanistic gene is supposed to be relatively ineffective over yellow. What's going on there?

Thanks!
Sumatras as we know them are an American breed. They are Extended Black with Melanotic and Pg(Pattern Gene) due to the Ml-Pg linkage. Extended Black birds will deposit a layer of dark epidermal melanin to the shanks and that is further compound by sex linked dermal melanin enhancer id+ so there will be no yellow on the shanks.

The bird known as Sumatera is from the island of Sumatra and is said to be one of the ancestors of the American breed

Ok thank you. Was kinda hoping to have boots. Is there anyway to breed to get further generations to get “booted bantam”? Edit: I believe they get them from Ideal Poultry

Agreed with Jacin, Ideal has no true Booted bantams, so they must be d'Uccles.

Since appearance is what matters in poultry, not pedigree, I would think you could breed them and select for the more tall and leggy type over time to get what could be considered Booted bantams. 🙂

Agreed with Jacin, Ideal has no true Booted bantams, so they must be d'Uccles.

Since appearance is what matters in poultry, not pedigree, I would think you could breed them and select for the more tall and leggy type over time to get what could be considered Booted bantams. 🙂
Ok! That’s good to hear! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom