The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

This guy is a cute accident...
Do you guys think he is only Paint, or is he Mottled or split to Mottled as well?

Mother is a Paint Easter Egger (White Leghorn X Mottled Ameraucana)
Father was Black Ameraucana X Mottled English Orpington.

So both parents were split to Mottled. He looks Paint to me but he also looks a bit mottled when looking at some of the individual black feathers with spots on them? When he was a chick he had a black headspot. Very confusing!

View attachment 3750089

Here he is with a full mottled juvenile behind him.

View attachment 3750090
he would be mottled, mottled is recessve, both his parents carried the mottled gene which gave you mottled offspring. Both his parents are split mottled

is this considered mottled?
IMG_1774.jpeg
IMG_1974.jpeg

"Mottled" can mean two different things.

It can mean a specific variety that occurs in some chicken breeds, that is black with white tips on the feathers. Your chick is not that kind of mottled, because he has plenty other color on him.

Mottled can also mean any chicken that has two copies of the mottling gene, regardless of whether they have other colors than black. This includes the color varieties Mille Fleur, Porcelain, Golden Neck, Jubilee in Orpingtons, Spangled in Orloffs and in Old English Game Bantams (but not in Hamburgs or Spitzhaubens), all the colors of Swedish Flower Hens, and plenty of mixed-breeds that have two copies of the mottling gene.

I am not sure if your chick is showing any effects of the mottling gene, or not. If he is, white feather tips should become more obvious as he gets older (more with each molt.) That is a common pattern with any of the varieties that have the mottling gene, that the chicks change appearance as they grow.

he would be mottled, mottled is recessve, both his parents carried the mottled gene which gave you mottled offspring. Both his parents are split mottled

He could be mottled or split, yes, but he's definitely also Paint... See how random his pattern is? His mother was Paint. So I was just wondering if he is *also* mottled. The genes could work together but I wasn't sure what would be stronger... That's why I came to ask if anyone sees mottled in him as well?

received_825027386122302.jpeg

He could be mottled or split, yes, but he's definitely also Paint... See how random his pattern is? His mother was Paint. So I was just wondering if he is *also* mottled. The genes could work together but I wasn't sure what would be stronger... That's why I came to ask if anyone sees mottled in him as well?

View attachment 3750493
Are any of the black feathers white tipped? If they are then the answer is that it's likely there.

Are any of the black feathers white tipped? If they are then the answer is that it's likely there.

I think there might be some on the chest that have white tips. Can you see it in the picture or am I imagining it?

If so, the other half of my question is if he might be carrying full or split mottled. I've learned to tell them apart on solid blacks, as our splits often have spotty chests but solid backs and heads, compared to a full white head with a spot for the young full mottled. But this guys color makes it very confusing!
His full siblings were plain paint, with very few spots, so it makes me wonder if there might be some effect with the mottled gene causing more black spots on him, rather than more white... Or if he just has the modifiers for lots of color regardless.

There is this wonderful Brabanter hen in my flock. She hatched from an egg provided by the same breeder who gave me my black (E/E) and white Brabanters (E/E and I/I, presumably, since there is some typical black leakage in the white of those animals).

Gl-ckchen3.jpg

Gl-ckchen4.jpg
Gl-ckchen2.jpg

I do have trouble making sense of her colour. I am sure it is neither splash nor blue. To the eye, it seems a bit like a leaky pearlygrey with black underneath. The belly is considerably brighter, I would say it is almost white, and the legs are bluish grey
(Pardon the dirty crest. It's been rainy and muddy for months).

I would be glad for any suggestions on the colour in genetic terms. Especially, I am interested in the possible presence of I/I, since I would like to preserve the white Brabanters of which there are hardly any left.

Hi 😊 the answer is possibly already in this thread but I’ve read a fair few pages and couldn’t see..apologies if it is.

SUPER new to chickens. I currently have a mix of ISA/ISA X and pure heritage breeds:
Rooster - Black Australorp
Pullet - Blue Australorp
Pullet - SLW
Pullet x 2 - Welsummer
Pullett- Platnium Sussex

I intend to add a few more Heritage girls to the coop…2x Light Sussex, another SLW & Black Australorp but no more roosters.

What will my SLW, Plat. Sussex & Welsummer chicks look like with the Black Australorp roo please?

What will my SLW, Plat. Sussex & Welsummer chicks look like with the Black Australorp roo please?
Black Australorp rooster x Silver Laced Wyandotte hen: black chicks, chance of silver leakage as they grow up.

Black Australorp rooster x Platinum Sussex hen: probably black chicks, high chance of silver leakage as they grow up.

Black Australorp rooster x Welsummer hen: black chicks, chance of silver or gold/red leakage as they grow up.

Comb type: single from most of the them. If the Wyandotte has a rose comb, some or all of her chicks may have rose combs as well. (Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs, but it is common for them to carry the recessive gene for not-rose comb, which means some of them can produce chicks with single combs.)

The Wyandotte and Welsummer hens probably have yellow feet, with the Sussex hen and Australorp rooster having white feet. All chicks are expected to have white feet, because of which gene is dominant.

Back
Top Bottom