The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

My current problem:
Say, I have a chicken with a black foundation (E/E or ER/ER), and no gold nor any other red-colouring genes. Say also, this chicken is phenotypically white with a little black leakage. Is there any way to tell apart a homozygote I/I from a heterozygote I/i+ (apart from experimental breeding) ?

Last edited:
My current problem:
Say, I have a chicken with a black foundation (E/E or ER/ER), and no gold nor any other red-colouring genes. Say also, this chicken is phenotypically white with a little black leakage. Is there any way to tell apart a homozygote I/I from a heterozygote I/i+ (apart from experimental breeding) ?
You should be able to make a reasonable guess from the amount of black leakage (more in heterozygotes I/i+, less or none in homozygotes I/I)

As an example, California Whites and Austra Whites are heterozygotes, and pictures can be found on the websites of many hatcheries. A few samples:
https://www.hoovershatchery.com/CaliforniaWhite.html
https://duncanspoultry.com/california-white-pullet/
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/austra-white/
(Lots of photos on this page ^ )

Not every heterozygote shows black leakage (some of the Austra White photos do not seem to have any). Some other heterozygotes show much larger amounts ("Paint" chickens of any breed.)

But I don't think every homozygote is completely free of leakage either.

So looking at them can be a good starting point, but will not give absolute certainly.
Yes, test mating is a way to be more sure.

Any guesses on what color this baby will be? Dad is a Lav Cuckoo Satin, mom is a black silkie. 😍 it’s very mauve to me and came as surprise from the blacks I was getting!

IMG_9342.jpeg

IMG_9343.jpeg

IMG_9344.jpeg

What egg color do you think I’ll get if I mix a Black copper maran too with a cinnamon queen hen? Also a mix of Black copper maran too with an olive egger who lays an almost matte golden egg.

Pretty baby! :love I know that recessive white can sometimes look very smoky like this at hatch. Any signs of wing feathers yet? Any color other than white in the wing feathers would rule that out.
Yeah, maybe it will just be boring white but I’m in love with her coloring. No wing feathers yet, gonna have to keep impatiently waiting 😆

What egg color do you think I’ll get if I mix a Black copper maran too with a cinnamon queen hen?
Brown eggs, darker than Cinnamon Queen eggs but not as dark as Black Copper Maran eggs.

Also a mix of Black copper maran too with an olive egger who lays an almost matte golden egg.
I'm having trouble visualizing a "golden" egg.

Olive/green eggs are blue eggs with a coating of brown on the outside. Breeding that hen to a Black Copper Marans should give daughters who lay eggs with more brown coating than the eggs of the Olive Egger mother.

If the chicks inherit the blue egg gene from the mother, their eggs will be a dark olive/green color, darker than the mother's.

If the chicks do not inherit the blue egg gene from the mother, their eggs will be brown.

If the Olive Egger's eggs do not have any blue in them-- try looking at the inside of the shell to see-- then she does not have the blue egg gene, so none of her chicks will have it either. If her eggs do have blue in them, then she does have the blue egg gene, and will give it to either half her chicks (if she has one copy of the gene) or all of her chicks (if she has two copies of the gene.)

Pretty baby! :love I know that recessive white can sometimes look very smoky like this at hatch. Any signs of wing feathers yet? Any color other than white in the wing feathers would rule that out.
UPDATE: OMG…is it possible that this baby is a bobtail Cochin/modern game bantam?!? I have a coop next door to the satin coop…and it’s three modern games and a handicapped bobtail Cochin rooster…can bobtail pass on only one copy?? It would explain the pink skin, 4 toes, straight comb, and limited feathering on the legs. I didn’t think he was fertile 😳

Welp, the teeniest feathers are coming in and they look similar in color to the down…a sort of taupey mauve. This baby is an enigma 😆

Attachments

• IMG_9375.jpeg
    IMG_9375.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9374.jpeg
    IMG_9374.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom