The Babies Are Growing Up!

HaleMoa

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 18, 2008
3rd World America, Hawaii
we moved our peepers out a couple weeks ago at four weeks, and we've been walking them up the ramp to bed at dusk for the past week. all of our friends have been laughing at us like we're ridiculous.
hmm.png
a few of our friends even doubted they'd ever do it on their own, suggesting that maybe there was something wrong with their coop.

BUT tonight, they tucked themselves in!
lol.png
big_smile.png
lol.png
i know it's kind of cheesy to be so stoked about something like this, but i just wanted to share it for anyone else who might be wondering if their chicks are EVER gonna learn how to go to bed on their own. just be patient, they will.
wink.png

Last edited:
Yeah for the babies! I was stoked the first time ours did it by themselves too!!!!
wee.gif

Sometimes the "cheepest" form of entertainment/enjoyment is what we really don't have to pay for....nature gives it to us!

BTW......lived on Maui for 3 years........still have one sister on the Big Island.........how I enjoyed those days
love.gif

ETA: love your user name......Harrychicken.......
lol.png

Last edited:
I lived there many years ago.....but I will ask my sister. She is thinking to start with chickens since I inundate my whole family with pics and stories of mine. She has rabbits and I might be able to "win her over" to the chicken world
tongue.png

I have some friends in Paia that I will email and ask too. They own a wonderful little organic farm and I know they have chooks......so maybe ducks as well?

I will PM or respond here when I have talked to them.

awesome! thanks alot. kind of random but i'll actually be up in paia this weekend, my cousin has a hula show at the maui arts c.c. and i was gonna ask around for some quackers while there. lemme know if your friends know of anything!

i got my hands on 2 muscovy ducks (are the girls called 'hens'???) anyway, pretty awesome huh... and they're already laying too! i love my girls, they have character. we named them noemi and luka. but we're still looking for a male drake if anyone knows of any on MAUI, HI.

Yeae
wee.gif
Your lucky, our girls discovered the trees and if we don't get them in before dusk. We have to tider on the ladder to get the stupid birds out of the tree. If we don't put them right in the coupe, they are right back up the tree
barnie.gif

cool.png

I received 10 Silkes 3 weeks ago. Have found homes for 7 and am keeping 3. Oh how sweet they are. I got my first chicken when my husband brought "Peepers" to me in April 2007. I had never had chickens and didn't know what to expect. I raised her like one of my dogs, and so she thought she was a dog. When we would go camping, she rode on the console of our SUV. She learned to come through the doggie door to the basement during the day while we were at work. She would run and meet me every day when I pulled in my Garage. I never thought I would ever love a chicken so much. Unfortunately, she got into some poison in August and died. I was devastated and understood why my Granny loved her chickens so much.
I had to have more, so now I have the new Silkie chicks. I already love the three I am going to keep. Again, I am treating them like I do my dogs. They will get to stay in our basement in their coop at night. I am now trying to get them to go in the coop now. Wish Me Luck.

Back
Top Bottom