The babies are here!

Teacherpea

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 20, 2013
Six of my seven babies arrived today. The hatchery said they forgot to include my seventh one (it was a free one- kind of a pay it forward deal), and now they say it's too bad, that they can't do anything about it. The only way I could get the other one is to order two more. = ( I really wanted seven. The only reason I don't want to get three more, is I don't want to crowd them in their coop. What to do??

But, the six I have are so cute! I am definitely in love!

Six of my seven babies arrived today. The hatchery said they forgot to include my seventh one (it was a free one- kind of a pay it forward deal), and now they say it's too bad, that they can't do anything about it. The only way I could get the other one is to order two more. = ( I really wanted seven. The only reason I don't want to get three more, is I don't want to crowd them in their coop. What to do??

But, the six I have are so cute! I am definitely in love!

Yes, they are so cute.
I'm amazed they make it through the postal system. Never ordered eggs/chicks but have read they do usually put in extras just in case. Wonder if they would give you some kind of credit towards other type of products/purchase, if available? You may be able to pick up an extra at a feed store nearby? What did you order, just nosy. haha
hu.gif

Hope something works out for you, meanwhile, enjoy!

What is the reasoning for having to have 7? I have six chicks and love it! Sorry I really don't mean to sound rude but I personally don't see why it's a big deal since you hadn't paid for the chick. I haven't ever ordered chicks like that but I'm sure the hatchery is not entitled to giving people freebies. Is there anyone near you that is planning on ordering chicks? If so you could tag onto their order for your 7th chick. You could pick up another one at a farm store. If I had ordered chicks straight from the hatchery I don't think I'd want to get one from a farm store, just thinking about living conditions and possible diseases, but that is just me. My area does don't have a minimum when buying chicks but I know some stores do.

Best of luck! I hope you figure something out that makes you happy with your chicks!

Katie

And your chicks are adorable by the way!!
love.gif

Last edited:
There's one of each: an EE, RIR, Black Austrolorp (sp), Barred Rock, White Rock and a Buff Orpington. I'm not trying to sound fussy about the "7." I just had it in my head, so I would have enough for my family,some extended family, and to give away. I'm new to this, so I was just going off of what I had read. I had intitially ordered eight, but I dropped it down. On another note, my RIR is real sleepy. I mean they're all dozing off, but then they wake up and go tearing around. Except my RIR. She was earlier, but now she is so sleepy she can hardly hold her eyes open. Should I do something?

There's one of each: an EE, RIR, Black Austrolorp (sp), Barred Rock, White Rock and a Buff Orpington. I'm not trying to sound fussy about the "7." I just had it in my head, so I would have enough for my family,some extended family, and to give away. I'm new to this, so I was just going off of what I had read. I had intitially ordered eight, but I dropped it down. On another note, my RIR is real sleepy. I mean they're all dozing off, but then they wake up and go tearing around. Except my RIR. She was earlier, but now she is so sleepy she can hardly hold her eyes open. Should I do something?

I'd put apple cider vinegar 'with the mother" in their water, you can buy it at Walmart with regular vinegar. I started doing it late last week and my chicks are loving it. Has tons of health benefits for chickens and people too. I've read about 1 tbsp to 1 gallon of water.

http://www.scratchandpeck.com/the-values-of-raw-apple-cider-vinegar

Katie

Hey Katie,
I put that electrolyte stuff that I ordered from the hatchery in there. You think that's okay? Or the vinegar or both? Sorry for all the questions!

No worries, I'm new too but I've been addicted to this site and have read so much info that my head is spinning lol, I would not do both. People use the electrolyte stuff all the time, I believe it's best to use it in times of stress and I'd say traveling in a mail truck is stress
smile.png
. From what I understand the vinegar is more of a long term thing, electrolytes aren't.

Katie

Hey Katie,
I put that electrolyte stuff that I ordered from the hatchery in there. You think that's okay? Or the vinegar or both? Sorry for all the questions!
The electrolyte is fine since that's what you have on hand for immediate treatment.
thumbsup.gif

ACV with mother is a good maintenace treatment for stomach, intestines, immunity, worms etc.
Just keep an eye on her.

I've also heard that the green grow gel is great for all the above, it's easy to administer. You can place a bit in/on their beak, they swallow it themselves.

Don't have to worry too much about them aspirating fluids to their lungs if you have to administer the fluids via syringe, eye dropper. I will order that myself with the next batch I hatch.

Keep us posted, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom