The baby is in bad shape. The mommy is crying, first time culling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilBizzy, Apr 14, 2009.

1. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    This chick pushed out of it's shell about 15 hours ago. At first, it's belly looked REALLY orangy, and I figured it hadn't absorbed the yolk. The shell was still attached at the center( where the scrambled egg looking blob is). When I got home from work, I noticed the stringy thing connected from belly to eggshell was dried up, so I cut the shell free.
    It looks like, in the picture, there is like a membrane attached to the belly, but it isnt.. Thats the belly.
    It is moving its legs, but I am not sure its toes are wiggling. I put down a soft towel, and laid it on its belly, thinking maybe that will alow it to excercise its feet a little.

Any ideas? Anyone have anything like this ? any thoughts? I'm not sure it's the yolk. He looks like he has a very- VERY swollen belly..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. AnniesEggFarm

AnniesEggFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    I am not a chicken expert (yet ha ha), but I have been a veterinary nurse for the past 12 years and have delivered my fair share of animal babies. I believe that chick's abdomen did not close correctly, has a deformity. I would cull it if nature has not already. BUT LIKE I SAID I AM NOT A CHICKEN EXPERT...... But in the vet world that would not be a good sign... I look forward to seeing what the real experts [​IMG] say.

Jenn [​IMG]

3. LilBizzy

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I think you are right.. I touched his belly, and the side is all squishy.
    I just made a little gas chamber for him.. [​IMG]

Oh, I feel like crap right now...

4. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry this happened to you and your chick. [​IMG] I think you are doing the right thing for him. You are very brave and compassionate.

5. LilBizzy

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I helped out on a commercial chicken farm for a while, and had to cull chickens, even little day olds. I hated to do it, but it had to be done. And I did.
    But this little one.. I'm in tears, and hoping I put enough baking soda and vinegar into his bowl to make him go to sleep. I kissed hm and told him he would be better off....

6. Deedee

Deedee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Kilgore, TX
    Honey, you did the right and humane thing. Just think how horrible of a death he would have had in the long run. I hate this part of it. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    aww [​IMG]

*hugs*

8. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Poor baby. I'm so sorry that you have to do this but its in the baby's best interest. Who knows why these things happen.

Many hugs sent your way, hun.

Laurie

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I had to put a little one down not too long ago and I still cry like a baby if I think about it too much. I know it hurts but you did the right thing. I am so sorry. [​IMG]

10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So sad - I'm so sorry.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by