The Back of My Pekin Ducks Neck Is Always Wet. Why?

Ari_babe0112

Hatching
Jun 6, 2019
For a few weeks the back of my pekin ducks neck is either always wet or always looks wet. When it doesn't feel wet to the touch it still has the appearance that it is so. There are dry spells where for a day it will look fine but it keeps returning to the wet look. I do not believe she has wet feather though because it is only on her neck and no where else on her body. I really want to know what I can do to fix this because I don't want to take her to the vet unless I really need too. Please someone help.

Do you have any drakes or even any females who are mounting her? I have an all female flock and my ducks mount each other and grab on with their bills at the back of the neck, mimicking mating behavior. This is quite likely the cause of the moisture or appearance of moisture on the back of your duck’s neck. The wetness of the mounting duck’s bill may be drying in a way that makes it look like it’s still wet—like hair gel.

Watch your ducks and see whether this is what is causing the issue. If it is, there is no problem unless someone is getting rough enough to cause injury.

Do you have any drakes or even any females who are mounting her? I have an all female flock and my ducks mount each other and grab on with their bills at the back of the neck, mimicking mating behavior. This is quite likely the cause of the moisture or appearance of moisture on the back of your duck’s neck. The wetness of the mounting duck’s bill may be drying in a way that makes it look like it’s still wet—like hair gel.

Watch your ducks and see whether this is what is causing the issue. If it is, there is no problem unless someone is getting rough enough to cause injury.
No I'm sorry but she is a single duck and there are no drakes so I'm not sure if that is quite it.

It might be best to get a vets opinion if you feel it’s something to worry about if you can post a few pictures that might help. Do you notice her scratching this area?have you looked under her feathers at her skin?

Back
Top Bottom