The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

From what I have read it is possible for hens to crow if they are a dominant hen in a flock with no rooster. I remember reading a post a few months back about a chicken whose owner thought it was a pullet and was told by the person she bought it from it was a pullet as well. Several people responded to the post saying that they had either seen or heard of hens crowing. This particular chicken was also mounting the other hens. At the time, the chicken had not started laying yet and looked like a pullet even though it was displaying rooster behavior. I thought the post was in this thread but now I can't find it. I will look for it and see whatever happened with that particular chicken. Surely if "she" was a pullet she would be laying by now as she was about 8 months old, if I remember correctly, when "she" started crowing.

I was just looking at pics of my bantam choc pullet and at 10 weeks she had no comb and wattle development like yours but every chicken is different. :)

Last edited:
hello!!! Would you be interested in selling any of your bantam orpingtons! I have been searching everywhere for colors other than buff or chocolate with no luck! I could purchase chicks and drive to you to pick them up or do hatching eggs as well. Please let me know if you have any for sale!! Thank you!!
My hen is a bantam, but the chicks are all large breed orps (black & Lav) or Bielefelder. I definitely have extra chicks for sale, but my Cookie is the little queen of our coop & our only bantam. I hatched her from an egg via Coastline Poultry. I got a good hatch rate for shipped eggs.

So here are a few updated photos of my 10 week old gender confused chick. Several who have seen "it" in person say pullet, but "it" was crowing again this morning??

Cockerel, without a doubt. That would explain the crowing.
wink.png

I have a couple of OEGB hens that crow. They don't crow like a regular room but it is definitely a crow. One is brooding now but when the chicks out grow her she will go through a period of crowing, at least she has for the last 2 years.

These are my adult hens for comparison. I would still say cockerel, because it is only 10 weeks old and showing that much comb! It doesn't seem to have the exact feathering of a male, but that may come in soon.

Back
Top Bottom