The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

I'm still kinda on the fence as the breeder I got "it" from states that some of her hens have large combs...at times I think def a roo and at other times a hen? But the other day when "it" was out in the run a standard size chickens decided to check them out (through the fence) and "it" was puffing up and charging at a standard size hen? I would say that is rooster behavior, No?

Our little guy did that puffing up at the fence thing too while our pullet was totally uninterested in our big girls. However... back a few pages on this thread someone posted (I cannot remember who) that she had what she thought was a pullet until it started mounting the other chickens and crowing. Several members said that a pullet with dominant behavior in a flock where there is no rooster is capable of crowing and mounting the other chickens.

Please post some more pics of your little "it".
smile.png

Our little guy did that puffing up at the fence thing too while our pullet was totally uninterested in our big girls. However... back a few pages on this thread someone posted (I cannot remember who) that she had what she thought was a pullet until it started mounting the other chickens and crowing. Several members said that a pullet with dominant behavior in a flock where there is no rooster is capable of crowing and mounting the other chickens.

Please post some more pics of your little "it".
smile.png
Will try and get more photos today, but it crowed yesterday so I do think I have a rooster! :-(

Here's my little Bantam Orpington, Cookie. Our little queen had her own broody set up in the garage. She didn't really get off the nest to eat or poop, so I moved her bottle & bowl within neck's reach. She got used to me scooping out her broody poop & soon learned to poop during my daily check. Yes. That's right. She learned how to poop on command. What a fowl smelling greeting she prepared for me. When I 1st opened the garage door, no smell. 60 seconds later = POOP! There it is!

Thankfully, she transitioned well into motherhood. These 7 chicks are all large-sized breeds, but Cookie doesn't seem to mind. The dog crate was moved into the run today. Chicks are almost 2 weeks old. The flock is now able to see & hear the chicks. About how long should I wait until I open the cage? Maybe after a week of observation?

I saw my chocolate orpington bantam rooster bred my Ameracauna so I threw three of her eggs under my broody cochin they are due to hatch around the 29th so pray at least one hatches I am so excited to see them

Here's my little Bantam Orpington, Cookie. Our little queen had her own broody set up in the garage. She didn't really get off the nest to eat or poop, so I moved her bottle & bowl within neck's reach. She got used to me scooping out her broody poop & soon learned to poop during my daily check. Yes. That's right. She learned how to poop on command. What a fowl smelling greeting she prepared for me. When I 1st opened the garage door, no smell. 60 seconds later = POOP! There it is!

Thankfully, she transitioned well into motherhood. These 7 chicks are all large-sized breeds, but Cookie doesn't seem to mind. The dog crate was moved into the run today. Chicks are almost 2 weeks old. The flock is now able to see & hear the chicks. About how long should I wait until I open the cage? Maybe after a week of observation?

I haven't had a lot of luck integrating a broody with chicks into my main flock and the entire reason is that I waited too long. I worry about the chicks. If your little Miss Cookie has an fierceness to her or if she is a top member of the flock, she and the chicks should be fine. She needs to be fiercely protective of them.

Awwww.......A Cookie update is always a good thing.
smile.png

Here's my little Bantam Orpington, Cookie. Our little queen had her own broody set up in the garage. She didn't really get off the nest to eat or poop, so I moved her bottle & bowl within neck's reach. She got used to me scooping out her broody poop & soon learned to poop during my daily check. Yes. That's right. She learned how to poop on command. What a fowl smelling greeting she prepared for me. When I 1st opened the garage door, no smell. 60 seconds later = POOP! There it is! Thankfully, she transitioned well into motherhood. These 7 chicks are all large-sized breeds, but Cookie doesn't seem to mind. The dog crate was moved into the run today. Chicks are almost 2 weeks old. The flock is now able to see & hear the chicks. About how long should I wait until I open the cage? Maybe after a week of observation?
hello!!! Would you be interested in selling any of your bantam orpingtons! I have been searching everywhere for colors other than buff or chocolate with no luck! I could purchase chicks and drive to you to pick them up or do hatching eggs as well. Please let me know if you have any for sale!! Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom