The Bantam Thread!

La Roux

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 2, 2010
San Jose
Hey guys, we have the all sorts of other threads, so why not a BANTAM thread?!?!?!?! Post any pics of banties that you have, or want! Lets make this a thread to remember
smile.png

My new baby bantam's..... 4 Mottled Cochin's and 5 White Crested Polish Bantams. The CUTEST Thing i've ever seen! Had to share these photos!

I am in Central AR so I am hoping it will be here the next morning since we are so close. I'm hoping the sebrights all come safe and healthy and I get at least one pair... of course I hope all the birds make it. I have 5 sebrights and 3 assorted bantams.
These will be my first Bantams and as I understand it they are very small and delicate when just chicks. So I am hoping for the best and ready (as much as you can be) for the worst. There is a lady near Waco TX that breeds and sells Seramas which are even smaller than the Sebrights so, if this does not work, I may just go to her and buy and bring them home myself. Good luck with yours.

I have silkies right now and just got a silver hamburg. They are both bantams, the hamburg is tiny. Im really hoping the sebrights make it... And im curious about what my bantam assortments will be
smile.png
Here is hoping that one of the assortment will be a Blue Silkie simply because they only had one left and could not sell it solo.

Just looked at the hours and they arent open til 9:30... I bet they will already be on the truck by then. I hope they call me. My post man is really nice so If he heard peeps he might be extra careful...
At my post office there are people sorting mail and getting ready for the day between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. I just go the the back door (loading dock) and stick my head in and ask if they have a live chick order for me. Usually I can hear the peeping and they are happy to get them out of there and not be responsible for them. Mine is a 15-20 minute drive so usually I just take a towel to put loosely over the box the keep drafts out, put it on the front seat with me and get them home as soon as possible. Make sure you have your brooder all set up and warm with food and water. Be sure they drink water (dip their beaks in the water as you put them into the brooder).Have their feed in a low feeder (for Bantams something about 1/4 to 1/2 inch tall) and a little food scattered around for them to discover. If you have not done so put paper towels on top of the shavings or what ever you are using for bedding for the first couple of days to discourage their eating the shavings. If they don't eat right away that is no problem for about a day or two as they have absorbed the yolk from their egg.

Of course you probably know all this and it is more an exercise for me to be sure I am ready for my little fuzzy butts. Best luck to us both. Be sure to post pictures as soon as you can and let us know what you get.

O.K. here is what I have discovered about my Bantam shipment due from Ideal Poultry. In the past anything I ordered from them was delivered the morning of the day following the ship date. That is one reason that I have used them...my birds did not have the stress of a 2-4 day trip. Just an overnighter that I imagined they would just nap through (my delusion). This time there were some changes that are related to the US Postal Service that have caused a delay of at least 24 hours (if not more) in their delivery.

In the past Ideal would deliver the shipment to the USPS shipping/sorting facility in Bryan, TX where they would be sent, by way of Abilene, TX to me here in Coleman, TX. A trip of a little over 350 miles and always an overnighter. Because the USPS has shut down the sorting facility in Abilene, TX the shipment now (this time with my little Bantams) was sent from Bryan, TX to Houston, TX where it rested until today and is now on its way to God only knows where (the postal service is not the best at updating tracking information). I checked with my local post office and they said they typically do not get any trucks except the early a.m. truck so I should not expect delivery before tomorrow at the earliest.

I have a small order of eight little day old Sebright Bantam chicks that are sitting someplace, perhaps in the back of a truck, and we are having the dying days of summer weather...close to 100 degrees yesterday and near that again today.

At this point I am trying to prepare myself to pick up a box of dead birds tomorrow a.m. I hope I am wrong but I have to be prepared.

In the future I think that any order from Ideal will be a pick up by me in their Cameron location. It is just barely 300 miles...of course in my truck that will cost me 120.00 in gasoline.

Mine are in the Post Office right now. My husbands been taking my car so I can't pick them up because he didn't leave me a key to his truck.. They will be there about two hours then he will bring them home... I'm nervous to get and open the box! I hope everyone is alive, especially my little sebrights.
I just checked with the post office. There trucks have not arrived yet, they are running late. However, postal tracking shows that it went from Houston to Lubbock to Abilene and left Abilene so it should be here this a.m. Lets keep each other posted and post pictures if that are any to post.

I think, at this point, I would just go hot wire the truck...just kidding.

PS - by the way that 300 mile trip to the Hatchery was an almost 1000 mile delivery by the post office.

They are here...THEY ARE ALIVE...9 Sebrights (4 Silver and 5 Golden) and a hand full of mystery chick packing peanuts. They took the scenic route from Cameron, TX to Coleman, TX (300 miles) via Houston and Lubbock (a 1000 mile trip). I know the next 48 hours will tell and I suspect I will loose a couple (a couple of Goldens seem really tired and weak) but they are all eating and drinking and peeping and pooping and sleeping. That sleeping thing is something I will never get used to...just fall over and nap like a dead body.

Thanks to all of you for putting up with my anxiety the last couple of days and a special thanks to user nayeli for commiserating with me over and over.

Now the good part...the pictures...

The seven little red heads in the box are the packing peanuts...any guess as to what breed they are...and yes they are most likely roosters.

The light colored Sebrights are the Silver and the darker ones are the Golden.

Back
Top Bottom