• Oh yeahhhhhhh

Votes: 51 54.8%
  • Of course!

Votes: 48 51.6%
  • Why am I here???

Votes: 13 14.0%

• Total voters
Pics
Well Ariana Sushi survived coccidiosis and worms…and paid me back by being an obvious boy 🤪 He might need to be an Adrian Sushi instead! 🥰

Attachments

• 7D2ED7E0-C0F0-4E0A-88A0-647EDB00FE28.jpeg
    7D2ED7E0-C0F0-4E0A-88A0-647EDB00FE28.jpeg
    485 KB · Views: 2
  • 104360C8-01CD-42A5-A361-70915945DA15.jpeg
    104360C8-01CD-42A5-A361-70915945DA15.jpeg
    419.4 KB · Views: 2
  • D0C7DD7D-4F48-4FA9-8A95-A0ECAE4418C1.jpeg
    D0C7DD7D-4F48-4FA9-8A95-A0ECAE4418C1.jpeg
    459.2 KB · Views: 2
Yeah, I only see one definite cockerel in the mix so far. They look like they're Black / maybe Blue?, Mottled, and Blue Mottled to me. The ones with white feathers are the Mottled ones. Are these the ones that were supposed to be Lavender and Chocolate or something like that?
Yep...very disappointed...won't be using them again.

Yep...very disappointed...won't be using them again.

Aw, I'm so sorry! :hugs

There is always that little chance that your cockerel carries Chocolate if he was meant to be Chocolate; you could hold onto him and try crossing him to any of your hens once he matures. If he does carry Chocolate, then about half of his daughters should be Chocolate. :fl The Chocolate gene is sexlinked recessive, so females are Chocolate if they have the gene, but males can carry the gene without showing it.

Aw, I'm so sorry! :hugs

There is always that little chance that your cockerel carries Chocolate if he was meant to be Chocolate; you could hold onto him and try crossing him to any of your hens once he matures. If he does carry Chocolate, then about half of his daughters should be Chocolate. :fl The Chocolate gene is sexlinked recessive, so females are Chocolate if they have the gene, but males can carry the gene without showing it.
Yes! This is very true @Gammas Bearded Babies! I got a "chocolate" project Marans from a breeder...born from a chocolate chicken and she is dark black! So you may have a black split to chocolate boy. I bet they will be super gorgeous birds at least! I would test breed them before you sell them or decide to do something else with them! We an help you once they are bigger to figure out which ones to test breed :D

Yes! This is very true @Gammas Bearded Babies! I got a "chocolate" project Marans from a breeder...born from a chocolate chicken and she is dark black! So you may have a black split to chocolate boy. I bet they will be super gorgeous birds at least! I would test breed them before you sell them or decide to do something else with them! We an help you once they are bigger to figure out which ones to test breed :D
That's good cuz I need all the help I can get with this genetic stuff!
Any other sex-linked colors?

Off the top of my head, barring and silver are sexlinked dominant. Light skin is also a sexlinked dominant gene. I don't know if there are any other sexlinked recessive genes besides Chocolate, though, at least in the context of utilizing such genes to make chicks that are sexable at hatch. If you have any questions about genetics, feel free to ask! I'm always happy to help as much as I can, or at least refer you to someone with a better understanding of it if it's beyond my scope of knowledge on the subject. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom