The Best breed for egglaying

See, I think that showy breeder birds are almost as bad as overly hybrid production birds, and I feel this way about ALL animals (my brother-in-law raises show pigs...). What is the point of raising beautiful overpriced animals that don't necessarily do what they're supposed to do- meaning either produce offspring/eggs well and in reasonable abundance, or produce good meat (again, in reasonable abundance, and by reasonable I mean that I don't expect broiler amounts of meat). I don't get it. It defies my pragmatic nature. When I look for chickens I look for a well rounded bird- lays to breed standard (that standard is at least useful), meaty, and generally healthy and well tempered. So if you're looking for production and not interested into getting into show birds you may NOT want to go with a breeder, unless you find one that breeds for either production OR a true dual purpose bird (ie reasonable production coupled with decent meat on the bird). Because some show birds don't lay that well. And are you looking to breed yourself, or just replace birds as needed? Because if you're not looking to breed, the lineage doesn't matter as much. Even heritage breeds are going to taper off their laying after a few years, and you are still going to be overrun with chickens that don't lay very many eggs.

My thoughts align with Fred's Hens and Brandislee - and I realize it is 'to each his own' in chicken keeping.

Nice looking chickens are great, but for us high-volume laying chickens are better. I have a 'golden comet' aka gold sexlink and I think the same parantage as ISA Browns. The roo is RIR and the hen is RI White, for this sexlink.

This chicken has so spoiled me for other birds. It is usually an egg a day. So--- when she is three, and she slows down to 3-4 eggs per week, yes, that wouldn't work for a chicken production operation, but it will work for me...and she can retire here. She also has an appealing "personality" and is a hoot to deal with. I think now that everyone has chickens that are so productive, and I am surprised when I encounter otherwise. If my sexlink continues to eat bugs she can stick around even when her laying days are over.

So, thinking of high production layers, I would say sexlink-- back to the question in the original post. Even when they are 'slowing down' they are equal to the purebreds. It is like a digital camera or a computer, the ones you should get depend on your needs and what your usage will be.

Thanks everyone for the insights posted in this thread.

If I get a heritage RIR roo and mate him with my RIR hens I obtained from a hatchery, will the egg production be the same in the chicks (once they're old enough) as thier mother hens?
idunno.gif

My five RIRs have been averaging 26 eggs per month each!! I specifically chose RIR for their hardiness and egg laying. They handled the extreme heat of the desert summer with no problems. I am very interested to see how they will handle our very cold winter!

All in all, I am very happy with my beautiful girls and they seem very happy to be my girls!!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom