The best deal on pine shavings???

There is a place in Richmond, a mill, that sometimes posts on craigslist saying you can come get huge garbage bags full for free. I'm happy with the product, price, and convenience at Concord Feed.

Wow, that is very interesting. I don't think I've heard of that before. Is a 40lb bag of pellets about the same size as a 50 lb bag of feed? I'm guessing the weight is about the same per size.

There is a similar product out there at www.guardianhorsebedding.com. I asked at my local feed store if they carried it but they didn't. They did have two type of wood pellets that they said some people used so I tried it. The pellets are sold in 40lb bags for $7.00 and are similar to a feed bag but made of plastic. I've just started using in and I LOVE it. All I have to do is sccop out the soiled pellets (which break down and become soft) and add some more pellets to top it off Kinda like kitty litter.

I have been wondering about this issue as well. My new coop is 12ft by 20 ft and I know it will take a lot of shavings to fill. Right now I just put down 3 bales of hay (not ideal, I know).

Shavings are $6.50 - $8.50 per bale here, but back when I used to board my horse at a training barn I saw that they get their shavings delivered loose by the truckload. That barn owner was a cheapskate, so I know it had to be pretty inexpensive. They would just drive in and dump them in this area by the barn and they would cover the pile up with a big tarp.

Now, the question is, where on earth do you find someone who sells wood shavings by the truckload? I would ask the old barn owner, but we definitely did not part on the best of terms...long, sad story and not worth going into.

Oh, and I also wanted to see if anyone else could share experiences about using alternative bedding like the pellets that are made of sawdust or whatever. I thought that stuff might work, but then I worried that my goofy chickens would just try to eat it.

I recently had some tree limbs trimmed from a huge tree and the limbs growing over my house were dead and had to come down. After talking to the tree trimmer guy I found out he sold pine wood shavings by the truckload. Now I got mine for free. I will be telling the story on that on a thread I'm going to start tonight but all in all it sounded like a good deal. I couldn't be happier. Check around your area for someone doing tree work, you may be surprised!!!!

big_smile.png
I buy mine at Wal-mart

Back
Top Bottom