The Best Egg Layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GuineaLady93, Feb 1, 2012.

1. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    In your opinion, what is the best breed of egg laying chickens? Are there any that will lay 2 eggs a day? What breeds will lay the biggest eggs?
    Thanks,
    Ashley

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Leghorns, to me, because mine never went broody. 6 is enough to get a few dozen a week! My sisters Dorking hen has been laying everyday for us, so it depends, probably on where you live or what breed it is. [​IMG]

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The commercial layers are usually the best for productivity. It takes 24 hours or more to finish making an egg that is on the assembly line.
    IMO
    Quantity
    Australorps, Minorcas, Leghorns, Fayoumi, Jersey Giants, Rocks, Ameraucana, Manx Rumpie, Russian Orloff, New Hampshire, Delaware, Norwegian Jaerhon, White Spanish, Rhode Island Red, Sussex, Wyandotte, Campine, La Fleche, Orpington, Dorking, Ancona, Welsummer, Dominique, Lakenvelder, Holland

Largest eggs
    Delaware, MInorca, Jersey Giant, White Spanish, Rhode Island, Welsummer, New Hampshire, Light Brahma, Ameraucana, Catalana, Langshan, Orpington

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  4. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    My Jersey's don't lay bigger eggs than the Leghorns...even though they are like twice the size of a Leghorn. [​IMG]

5. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    There was a guy at a flock swap who said that the hen he was selling laid 2 eggs everyday. So is that impossible?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by