The BEST ever Christmas present EVER discussion

Sunshine Flock

Crowing
Sep 27, 2017
Northern California
That very first Smurf when I was a kid. Smurfs were my world in the late 1970s. My parents would never buy me a Smurf mushroom house, so I'm going to make my own and tuck them under trees and behind rocks all over my four acres.

The bunny I gave my parents one Christmas didn't go over too well.

And yesterday my husband used his eBay money to buy me a Hitachi miter saw. His parents thought that was a bit odd, but he said, "Not for my wife. She loves it!"

The things I can finally make now that I have a proper saw! First up is finishing some new windows for the chicken coop. I converted an old shed to the coop with my circular saw. So many mis-cuts, lots of wasted wood, and very painful hands from tons and gobs of sanding to try to correct for the numerous mess-ups.

By the way, it's okay to receive and accept gifts and to be excited about presents under the tree. It's a nice feeling being acknowledged. When someone in front of me at the Starbucks drive-thru paid for my drink, I gladly accepted instead of paying it forward to the person behind me.

There's humility in receiving and joy in Smurfs and chop saws!!

Okay, my husband reminded me of the difference between a table saw and a miter saw (the one he got me). Yours can rip boards. Do table saws take up a lot of space?
Yes, but i can move it outside the workshop weather permitting or use it in the garage. It is small enough i can lift it. I need a new mitre saw, or mine needs adjusting. It doesn't cut all the way through any more. I make custom signs with woodburning. I have some slabs that have bark on one side so i want to rip down the rounded side to make boards.
20171215_132902.jpg
20171222_163202.jpg

And of course i make my own rabbit cages out of mostly scrap wood. Not perfect but the rabbits don't care.

Okay, my husband reminded me of the difference between a table saw and a miter saw (the one he got me). Yours can rip boards. Do table saws take up a lot of space?
They can be pretty big.. My dad's saw table (Along with a whole bunch of other things) is in our pole barn... It doesn't take up much space and doesn't get in the way much but I would say it's about 4' by 6' with the actual saw in the middle.

Now my best Christmas present is this year's Christmas present.. My parents (Especially my mother) Can't keep secrets.. I've always wanted to be a poultry breeder and hatch all sorts of birds.. But the only working incubator I have only held about a dozen eggs in it and I couldn't rely on my broodies forever... So I've been saving up for an incubator and when my mom found out she went and bought me an incubator that holds 112 eggs and told me of course with much excitement. I've already planned out what i'm going to hatch and will start at the beginning of February :celebrate And with the money I had that I planned on buying the incubator with I went and just bought (yesterday) 8 guinea hens for my male and hen so I'll def be hatching some of those in February.

Yes, but i can move it outside the workshop weather permitting or use it in the garage. It is small enough i can lift it. I need a new mitre saw, or mine needs adjusting. It doesn't cut all the way through any more. I make custom signs with woodburning. I have some slabs that have bark on one side so i want to rip down the rounded side to make boards. View attachment 1216369 View attachment 1216368
And of course i make my own rabbit cages out of mostly scrap wood. Not perfect but the rabbits don't care.
Love the rabbit cages :love I need something like that for my hatches.

Love the rabbit cages :love I need something like that for my hatches.
I will try and get a picture of my brooder, i love it but usually don't make them as small. I was not planning on doing a lot of hatching. The ones i had in TN were bigger and tall enough to tend to standing up. I did a lot of hatching back then, had 2 cabinet incubators. One for incubating and one for hatching.
The rabbit type cages are good for older chicks, bantams or quail. I had 20+ coops and lots of tractors in TN. I used to sell and ship hatching eggs.

They can be pretty big.. My dad's saw table (Along with a whole bunch of other things) is in our pole barn... It doesn't take up much space and doesn't get in the way much but I would say it's about 4' by 6' with the actual saw in the middle.

Now my best Christmas present is this year's Christmas present.. My parents (Especially my mother) Can't keep secrets.. I've always wanted to be a poultry breeder and hatch all sorts of birds.. But the only working incubator I have only held about a dozen eggs in it and I couldn't rely on my broodies forever... So I've been saving up for an incubator and when my mom found out she went and bought me an incubator that holds 112 eggs and told me of course with much excitement. I've already planned out what i'm going to hatch and will start at the beginning of February :celebrate And with the money I had that I planned on buying the incubator with I went and just bought (yesterday) 8 guinea hens for my male and hen so I'll def be hatching some of those in February.
Wow, that's awesome. It sounds like you have yourself the makings of a wonderful business!!

Back
Top Bottom