The Best First Breed :The Buff Orpington

Would you get a BO?

• Total voters
You could just give them away
To who? Nobody wants that many roosters. If you hatch, say, 30 eggs, and you get 15 pullets and 15 cockerels, you only need 2 cockerels at most. Who's going to take 13 roosters that have almost no use? If they have chickens, they probably already have roosters. And even if you manage to find 13 rooster homes, somehow, what happens next time you hatch eggs or buy chicks? There are far more roosters hatched than there will ever be demand for. Better to give them a clean death than to keep them shut up in separate cages so they can't fight each other or over-mate the hens while you try to find someone who, for some reason other than eating, wants to take them. A few people have bachelor coops, they only keep roos, but not enough to find homes for all of them.

To who? Nobody wants that many roosters. If you hatch, say, 30 eggs, and you get 15 pullets and 15 cockerels, you only need 2 cockerels at most. Who's going to take 13 roosters that have almost no use? If they have chickens, they probably already have roosters. And even if you manage to find 13 rooster homes, somehow, what happens next time you hatch eggs or buy chicks? There are far more roosters hatched than there will ever be demand for. Better to give them a clean death than to keep them shut up in separate cages so they can't fight each other or over-mate the hens while you try to find someone who, for some reason other than eating, wants to take them. A few people have bachelor coops, they only keep roos, but not enough to find homes for all of them.
I had a cockerel who was very friendly, but then one day he turned aggresive and had to cull him

I am curious as to why most people refer to the BO as if they are their own breed? Orpington is the breed and Buff is the color. In general don't Orpington's have a Breed Standard and the different color phase will have some unique standard to that color? I have Orps and I refer to them as Orps not CCO.

Back
Top Bottom