the BEST guard dog breed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew a little about the pryness so what about they wander if so how can they be watchful on a herd and they most I have seen where in pairs I know one time we took a young dog hog hunting a cur and must have tracked or was tracked by some coyotes and was in dire need by the time we found him we turned the catch dog loose about the time one of the three coyotes had grab him by the neck he had a vest and collar on which probley saved his life coyotes run in packs you might only see one but others are around and another thing a state trapper was sent to the ranch I worked on we had high fence said we would not catch anything for two weeks he was wrong we had ten the first week and the month we had 32 we used snares and he remarked that there where a lot of crosses caught dog x coyote looked like coyotes to me but said they were

Ok one more thing, what's cx?
Yes 2,I have one Aussie and one border collie cross both great dogs. The Aussie is 6 months, good with birds ( chickens and ducks) very protective of kids and animals. But does any one have any training strategies for inappropriate barking? He barks at me and only me when we walk through the yard.... It's odd and annoying. Ok 2 things....

@savagedestiny the Maned Wolf (fox) could possibly whip a Corgi but red fox I highly doubt. The dog is slower but heavier. The red fox will not take on a another predator near in size or larger than it is. That is the realm of top predators among canids/

A proper Corgi is only about 25-30lbs max. Anything larger is poorly bred, mixed, or obese. Just because a fox mostly will choose to run doesn't mean it wouldn't tear up a Corgi if it decided to stay and fight. That's the catch- you have to have a dog for all scenarios. What's the use of having a "guard" dog that could get torn up IF the fox decided it didn't want to run?

As a side note, Anatolians are pretty speedy. They use them quite a bit to run off cheetahs in Africa.

A proper Corgi is only about 25-30lbs max. Anything larger is poorly bred, mixed, or obese. Just because a fox mostly will choose to run doesn't mean it wouldn't tear up a Corgi if it decided to stay and fight. That's the catch- you have to have a dog for all scenarios. What's the use of having a "guard" dog that could get torn up IF the fox decided it didn't want to run?

As a side note, Anatolians are pretty speedy. They use them quite a bit to run off cheetahs in Africa.

My area crawls with foxes. They occasionally take on a domestic cat but they are not fighters. A 25 lb Corgi can whip a red fox handily. I have handled them alive and they much less formidable than a raccoon of similar size which a practiced Corgi can run off..

Cheetahs do not stand and fight anything approaching size of an Anatolian. They make kill, eat choice parts quickly and give up catch to pretty much anything bigger than a jackal. The dog simply makes so cheetah does not have time to consume enough to make its effort worth while.

Have you had actual experience with any these animals or only make inferences based on what you have read?

Last edited:
everyone has there breed of choice and what you have been brought up around...i myself believe in a pit bull...back in the day they use to tie up all sorts of animals and test the pit bull out on them...everything from a dog, bears, and bulls....thats roughly how they got there name pit bulls...they would be thrown in a pit two or three dogs and the dogs would take down whatever animal would be in the pit...get it pit and bulls....there are still parts of the world that still practice this although certain areas dont care others do and find it illegal... i have a 95 lb pit male and 50lb pit female...and we live in the forest in michigan...and nothing...i repeat nothing has entered and lived in the back yard...they are trained to protect our birds...and they do a fine job...we have bears coyote, foxs hawks, owls, stray dogs...german shepards...and racoons...and i still have my dogs and they have no scars on them...people used the pit bull in ww2 i believe it was to watch over the prisoner camps and do missions...just with these dogs they have split personality and can change for the worse just on a snap of a dime....i would put my male up with any wandering predator pound for pound or even two for one pound...my male can jump six feet and lockjaw on anything..including humans...if you as a human were to try and come into my home with say a weapon or gun..he will take it out of your hand....so with that being said...you can train any breed to defend, attack, and be cute...the question is what breed is what your comfortable with and fits your life and how much time you are going to devote to them and their trainig....
here are some pics

My area crawls with foxes. They occasionally take on a domestic cat but they are not fighters. A 25 lb Corgi can whip a red fox handily. I have handled them alive and they much less formidable than a raccoon of similar size which a practiced Corgi can run off..

Cheetahs do not stand and fight anything approaching size of an Anatolian. They make kill, eat choice parts quickly and give up catch to pretty much anything bigger than a jackal. The dog simply makes so cheetah does not have time to consume enough to make its effort worth while.

Have you had actual experience with any these animals or only make inferences based on what you have read?

I'm not sure why you're being so argumentative. I've worked with dogs for 10 years, I have plenty of experience with both breeds. Corgis aren't fighters, a raccoon OR a fox that decided to stand and fight would have no real trouble with a Corgi. The only reason I even mentioned Anatolians is that you claimed LCGs aren't fast, but Anatolians most certainly are. Get a grip.

Birdman55, your "Pit Bulls" (no real Pit Bull is anywhere even approaching 90lbs) do not "lockjaw" on a dang thing. No breed of dog has a locking jaw, period.

I'm not sure why you're being so argumentative. I've worked with dogs for 10 years, I have plenty of experience with both breeds. Corgis aren't fighters, a raccoon OR a fox that decided to stand and fight would have no real trouble with a Corgi. The only reason I even mentioned Anatolians is that you claimed LCGs aren't fast, but Anatolians most certainly are. Get a grip.

Birdman55, your "Pit Bulls" (no real Pit Bull is anywhere even approaching 90lbs) do not "lockjaw" on a dang thing. No breed of dog has a locking jaw, period.

I speak from experience on both sides of equation, dogs and predators. A bit more than 10 years also invested. Speed is a relative thing and Anatolians are slow in part because they are large. Pitbulls you might know more about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom