The best layers?

ikoCRO

Songster
Nov 27, 2020
I have been raising chickens for about 30 years and have had many breeds.
Although their eggs are not that important to me, I started to wonder how true those articles are, which represent certain breeds as "egg machines".
Of those "egg machines", I bred or still breed, Wyandotte, Leghorn, English Araucana, Orpingtons, Rhode Island,Hrvatica.
In my experience, Wyandottes are the best lays!
They lay on average every 36 hours, non-stop for the whole year! After a year and a half, they take a long break of 3 months, then start again!
The Hrvatica is also constant, but it often becomes broody and lays small eggs, every winter it takes a break of 2-3 months.
All the other breeds I have bred,lay for about a week and take a break for about a week.
Leghorn disappointed me the most, I have had them for about a year and a half (young chickens) and they take big breaks for about 10 days.
I treat all my hens equally and feed them the same food, Wyandottes are the best layers in my opinion!

What are your experiences?
I am only interested in purebreds!
Hybrid breeds have no place in this topic!

The best layer in my flock is a California White -- though she's more of a longstanding, standard cross than a self-reproducing breed.

She is an absolute MACHINE for the production of 65g white eggs.

Her first year she laid 28 days out of 30 for a week shy of a solid year.

After a 6 or 8-week molt (I'd have to look it up), she resumed and has laid at least 5 days out of 7, sometimes 7 out of 7. I'm considering giving her a third year instead of culling her. If nothing else, I got another California White to replace her.

The next best are some of the Australorps and one of the French Cuckoo Marans. All laying at least 6 days out of 7 in their first year.

Back
Top Bottom