THE BEST REFERENCE for NEWBIES - CHEAP!

Quote:
Thanks for that Gail!

As a further re-inforcement to what I've been saying, I just went to alibris and found your book, "How to Grow and Produce Your Own Food," by Charles Boff. I've purchased it for vastly more than your quarter - it cost me $7.94 including shipping. It's worth it, I'm certain.
============================================
As for his space allowances, simply put, you can do anything you want. Chickens will not complain about what space you give them.

However, if you want to avoid complaining yourself over their waste, smell, picking, disease and the many other things that come of over-crowding... then it's best you don't cram them in too tightly.

I'm lazy, I find if I give them ample space (and keep fewer of them,) then I have to do very little but feed and water them.

Mr. Boff, on the other hand accepts some compromises within the practical framework of raising food, which is different than raising happy "pet" chickens.

I have a feeling that his 2/5 sq. ft. is based on free access to the run at all times, which is what I'm hoping to do. My run isn't complete yet, but if it holds up to be as predator proof as to what I'm hoping it will be, I may try leaving the pop door open all the time so they can get out before I get out to open the door. But, that will depend on how well the run holds up to predators (dogs, owls, bobcats, raccoons, panthers, coyotes, etc.) I am proofing the H--- out of it since my husband and I go away on 3-day trips occasionally and I don't really have anyone that can help with the chickens. It's a good thing I didn't follow his advice by getting 16 chicks! I only got the 12 because I expected, being a newbie, I would lose one or two due to inexperience. I lost one EE because my 19 yr. old let some friends into the pen at midnight because one wanted to hold one of my chicks ("But, Mom, she was in FFA - I figured she knew what she was doing"). Since they were only use to me, I can only imagine it freaked them out horribly and the one EE was crushed to death - found it with a broken neck in the morning - haven't been that mad in years!

You will love this book - has great information on so many things - haven't had the time to read much more than the poultry section. I almost bought that book on alibris just to have a 2nd copy, but was hoping someone else would purchase it since it's so useful. Good luck!

Quote:
Well, actually they DO complain, in the form of disassembling each other if too crowded.

Also, even if they are not 'complaining' in a way that a human observer understands, they do act different with lots of space available vs less space.

So I think it *is* of consequence to the chickens, how much space you give them. Even if they are more tolerant of overcrowding than, say, tigers would be.

Those giving advice on economical food production, and not really interested in the chickens' happiness except insofar as they have to not be so miserable they die or produce really poorly, tend to give very small space requirements (this is one thing I myself dislike about Mercia's books, however much David may like them).

But it seems to me that we can often provide more than just the minimal technically-required-for-survival facilities, and they really *are* different critters when kept that way, and there is merit to that approach if one is not on the cusp of bankruptcy or starvation.

JMHO,

Pat

Quote:
Well, actually they DO complain, in the form of disassembling each other if too crowded.

Also, even if they are not 'complaining' in a way that a human observer understands, they do act different with lots of space available vs less space.

So I think it *is* of consequence to the chickens, how much space you give them. Even if they are more tolerant of overcrowding than, say, tigers would be.

Those giving advice on economical food production, and not really interested in the chickens' happiness except insofar as they have to not be so miserable they die or produce really poorly, tend to give very small space requirements (this is one thing I myself dislike about Mercia's books, however much David may like them).

But it seems to me that we can often provide more than just the minimal technically-required-for-survival facilities, and they really *are* different critters when kept that way, and there is merit to that approach if one is not on the cusp of bankruptcy or starvation.

JMHO,

Pat

You know Im in agreement with you, Pat - I just didnt want to get long winded on the matter, as I usually do. My comment that "they wont complain" was really veiled sarcasm.
{Some people here get inflamed when the blunt truth is presented as unveiled sarcasm, judging by some of the PM's I get. So I mellowed my message.... this time
smile.png
}

You'll note I summarized it this way: "...However, if you want to avoid complaining yourself over their waste, smell, picking, disease and the many other things that come of over-crowding... then it's best you don't cram them in too tightly."

Im glad you chimed in with your excellent expansion on the point.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom