The best table top incubator? what are they

iajewel

Songster
11 Years
Oct 22, 2008
Corning IA
The last time I bought an incubator was years go. I know times have changed and things gotten better.. so rather than learn the hard way.. Im asking..

Im going to make a one time (want to last) purchas of a table top (40-50 eggs) incubator.
Cost is not an issue as I would rather pay more for something that works, and lasts, then buy something cheap that doesn't do what I bought it to do and breaks. (Know of an american Co that makes them?)

Anyway.. I have no idea whats on the market today.. I would love to know what you all think is the best styles, brands and dealers. What options would you not live with out. What options do you think are worthless and you can live with out?
I will be hatching LF eggs ( no quail or Emu) just normal everyday eggs.
I also need something easy.. Im an idiot 90% of the time.

Thanks for any input.

I like my hovabator forced air incubator. The only thing I would like different is if it weren't styrafoam, as I think it would make cleaning/sterilization easier. I only incubate in mine though, and use an old one as a hatcher so it doesn't get very dirty.

With the turner and shipping it was under 150.00
smile.png

ETA: I got it from Cutler Supply, and it holds 40+ eggs.

Last edited:
This would be for personal use. Only my own eggs. Do you think the egg turner is useful, or one more thing to break?

I will never be without a turner again! It's only about 40.00. I only open my incubator to add water if needed, candle, and then transfer the eggs to the hatcher on day 18. I think the less you mess with them they better you do.

"Transfer them to the hatcher"
Ok.. Im learning something here. You don't finish them in the same bator as you start them in?
would like to learn more.. however I only plan on buying one incubator and starting and finishing in the same one. Unless you can sell me on 2.

I have an old incubator I use to hatch them in. The reason I do this is because I usually alway have eggs in the incubator, at varying stages of incubation. By transfering them to the other incubator to hatch I can have eggs on different days in the incubator with the turner. You can't really run staggered hatches without a "hatcher" because you need higher humidity the last days of the incubation. Does that make sense?

Yes, that does make perfect sence. So with a "hatcher" I can almost double my production, while sorting out the crap eggs too.

Honestly I don't sell, and won't sell for sometime eggs or chicks. My extra roos are in the freezer. I keep my girls a year to see how they do, how they show and how they produce. I cull like a mad woman on PMS.

For me the only purpose of producing more birds would be to have a better selection of keepers.
Im no loosing anything by having more birds as we all have to eat.

I do see your point, and like the idea.

What bater is the egg turner in? or is it in both?

I've got to agree w/ Sara!
wink.png
I love my Hovabators. I have the 1588 Genesis w/ turner as my main bator and then a Hovabator 1602 for a hatcher. (And an LG w/ turner as back-up or for my kids to use)

Another great thing about using a second incubator as a hatcher is that (barring miscalcuation) there is never a mess to clean up in the incubating unit.
db

Back
Top Bottom