The best way to go about moving to a different state?

Quote:
I actually did research and found an opening at a Pizza Hut (anyone can work at Pizza Hut) that I applied for. I obviously put my address as my Indiana address and almost immediately got an e-mail back saying that "I did not fit the requirements for the Pizza Hut team." I'm almost positive that it was because I live in a different state.
hmm.png

I used to be a Hostess and now work in as a Data Entry Keyer. I'm also in school majoring in Business Administration with my main focus on Medical Management. If that helps at all.

Ouch! Turned down by pizza hut !Keep trying.

Yeah, it was a real blow to the self-esteem.
roll.png

Well... correction to my 'credit' tirade... I think they look for an absence of negative credit more than they actually look for positive credit history. With absolutley no credit at all.. I had no trouble qualifying for my first place since I had proof of sufficient income. Thats really most often the kicker.. the income thing. Kinda hard when you're moving to a whole new place.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Well I've thought about getting a credit card and just using it for gas every now and then just to get my credit up. We had to get our phone bill put in his dad's name because neither or us had credit. They wanted us to each pay a $500 deposit to "make sure we'd stick to the contract."
th.gif
Umm..I don't think so.

Like I said before, he's got a relative down there that said we could stay there until we found jobs and a place to live. His parents, who we live with now, said that they don't really want to be stuck "raising" our chickens while we go down there to look for jobs, but they also don't want to give us any help affording a place to live so we can take them with us, but they're also really pushing us to move down there.
somad.gif
They don't care to watch them, but they think that we're going to get down there and not be able to find jobs and they're going to be stuck with them while we stay there.

It's probably a lost cause, but we're still trying to plan. Too bad we couldn't find a renter who'd let us give a down payment and live there for really cheap until we found jobs.
hide.gif

In our area it's almost common to find places advertising 'free rent' deposit only'.. that means no last months rent either. So if a place was $600 a month.. deposit would be $600.. so you would only pay the $600 to move in. You would still have to try to pay the regular rent every month, though.
There are people who don't advertise as such though... that if you call them and explain a situation.. are willing to work out a deal with a tenant.. such as paying the security deposit off slowly every month. It really does depend on the area and how desperate they are for renters.

Last edited:
I'd recommend going for an extended visit. Get the feel of the place since you have relatives there. You might also pick up a newspaper from the area (B&N, Borders) you'd like to live in. Visit the website for their chamber of commerce, etc.....
Slinky

Quote:
We actually found a perfect little house while we were in Alabama. Teeny little house (like, 5 rooms total and just fine for us) with a small backyard that was perfect for us to put our run/coop. Wasn't furnished, but that's alright. We called the number on the sign and we were told that it was $550/month without utilities, they wanted a $500 damage deposit, and we had to put in an application (employment stuff) and wait to be approved, and then had to sign a contract and pay a years worth of rent up front. All that, plus we'd have to furnish our own place.
th.gif
I don't know anything about houses/rentals..but that seemed way too ridiculous. Even his relative said so.

His relative is also very, well, rich. We've thought about talking to her about possibly lending us money to buy our own house and paying her off, just like we would a bank (with interest and everything), but we don't think that it's very appropriate of us to ask. She has no obligation to give it to us, and we don't want to put her on the spot about it. Would you ask if you were us? I mean, we'd definitely work to pay her back. And if she did that it'd give us a little bit of slack if we couldn't find jobs immediately we wouldn't have to worry about losing our home.
idunno.gif

Moving out on your own is hard.
hide.gif

pay a years worth of rent up front

Is the part that is unusual.. and that is very unusual. It makes me think that the person renting the house out... somehow got the impression that you two weren't the kind of tenants they were looking for. Probably nothing more than that you sounded young and they might have had bad experiences with young tenants. When calling such people, I do my best to make a super-polite, super-responsible impression. Not that you didn't... but like at a job interview... sometimes you have to 'sell' yourself.

When it comes to the loan from his family.... It does not hurt to ask. Once! So think about how you ask very carefully before you use up the one opportunity. Loaning to family members puts a person in a very awkward postion. Not many people like to do it. It's not a reflection of you, your character, or how the person feels about you .. it's a reflection of your circumstance, your age, and the very closeness of a family.

I would question the term 'rich'... unless you have seen someones bank account, there is really no way to know just how much money they may have on hand. If they own a large house, property, cars, ect.. they may be using all their means to keep those items, or live in the style they are accustomed to.

So I would sit down together, you and your bf, with a peice of paper, and form a plan of how you are going to make it safe for this family member to loan you this money, before you ask. Even if it is a good plan.. they are still likely to refuse. Coming from another young person here... Good intentions and promises just aren't enough where money is concerned. First setting up your own house is fraught with peril. Bills to pay, jobs to loose, all kinds of things can go wrong... and it's not fair to expect someone else to come swooping in and pick up the peices for you, or take the financial loss if something happens.

My idea is... ask them to buy a house for you. If they can afford to, that is. They would have the house in their name, make the downpayment and the mortgage. You would pay them the amount of the mortgage every month, plus insurance, homeowner fees, and any other expenses they incur. You would also do your best every month, to make payments towards the downpayment they made. Once it is paid off, they can switch the deed to your name. Making sure to have all appropriate contracts... this would be fairly safe for them. If you end up not able to pay them back for the downpayment, they still own the house. You could go on renting from them, or they could ask you to relocate. Just my idea.​

Quote:
Is the part that is unusual.. and that is very unusual. It makes me think that the person renting the house out... somehow got the impression that you two weren't the kind of tenants they were looking for. Probably nothing more than that you sounded young and they might have had bad experiences with young tenants. When calling such people, I do my best to make a super-polite, super-responsible impression. Not that you didn't... but like at a job interview... sometimes you have to 'sell' yourself.

When it comes to the loan from his family.... It does not hurt to ask. Once! So think about how you ask very carefully before you use up the one opportunity. Loaning to family members puts a person in a very awkward postion. Not many people like to do it. It's not a reflection of you, your character, or how the person feels about you .. it's a reflection of your circumstance, your age, and the very closeness of a family.

I would question the term 'rich'... unless you have seen someones bank account, there is really no way to know just how much money they may have on hand. If they own a large house, property, cars, ect.. they may be using all their means to keep those items, or live in the style they are accustomed to.

So I would sit down together, you and your bf, with a peice of paper, and form a plan of how you are going to make it safe for this family member to loan you this money, before you ask. Even if it is a good plan.. they are still likely to refuse. Coming from another young person here... Good intentions and promises just aren't enough where money is concerned. First setting up your own house is fraught with peril. Bills to pay, jobs to loose, all kinds of things can go wrong... and it's not fair to expect someone else to come swooping in and pick up the peices for you, or take the financial loss if something happens.

My idea is... ask them to buy a house for you. If they can afford to, that is. They would have the house in their name, make the downpayment and the mortgage. You would pay them the amount of the mortgage every month, plus insurance, homeowner fees, and any other expenses they incur. You would also do your best every month, to make payments towards the downpayment they made. Once it is paid off, they can switch the deed to your name. Making sure to have all appropriate contracts... this would be fairly safe for them. If you end up not able to pay them back for the downpayment, they still own the house. You could go on renting from them, or they could ask you to relocate. Just my idea.

The person we talked to didn't own the property and told us what they were told to tell anyone who called about it. I made sure to be extra polite and I never mentioned how old we were, just asked about house.

The family member has at least a million, if not several. I talked to my boyfriend's mom about it one night and she said that she was going to mention it to the person when they came up to visit. They're here now and leave either this weekend or next. I'm not sure. I'm also not sure when we're going to find out about whether or not we're going to be able to borrow the money. About fifteen minutes ago I went into the room while the person was out of the room and mentioned to his mom that the house we all went to look at down there was still for sale and had come down a little bit. The other house that we had loved had TONS of land, but the house was going to need to be torn down and re-built, has been taken off the market. Didn't sell. I also told her that and she said, "Well that's great! Maybe you can get ahold of the owner and give them an offer now that they know nobody wants it." I love how she's jumping at the opportunity for us to make offers on places when we have no money, and she know it.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom