The best way to go about moving to a different state?

LittleChickenLady

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
Clanton, Alabama
So my boyfriend and I live in Indiana and would like to live in Alabama (around the Clanton/Maplesville area). The UK is actually where we want to live, but it doesn't seem practical. Both of us are stuck working seasonal jobs where we live now and don't have much experience. I am also a college student.
hide.gif
What advice would you give to a young couple wanting to move to a different state? How do you go about finding jobs or a place to live in a different state? We'd actually be staying with one of his family members until we found a home, but I'd rather not stay there long and want to know about loan options/rental opportunities and what are some requirements? I'll add that we've never had our own place either.
sad.png

With a vehicle. Walking will take too long.

Sorry... couldn't resist.

When my mom tells people she is from Australia... Countless, ohh, countless people have said exactly this...

People - "So what brought you over here?"
Mom - "A plane."

lol.png

We followed the grandkids and moved from Okla. To Tn. My wife found her job and we found the first house we lived in ,on the Internet. Now days you can learn a whole lot just by researching the new area on the net. Also try and make a couple of weekend trips just scope the newarea out and get the feel of it. New beginnings are fun,scary,difficult,and rewarding all at the same time. You are young and it will be easy for you to adjust. Good luck and don't worry,if you fall down,just gerbil and start again!

Last edited:
scratch'n'peck :

start out by doing lots of research on line about the area. you can find out a lot about rentals and job postings in the area.

I actually did research and found an opening at a Pizza Hut (anyone can work at Pizza Hut) that I applied for. I obviously put my address as my Indiana address and almost immediately got an e-mail back saying that "I did not fit the requirements for the Pizza Hut team." I'm almost positive that it was because I live in a different state.
hmm.png

I used to be a Hostess and now work in as a Data Entry Keyer. I'm also in school majoring in Business Administration with my main focus on Medical Management. If that helps at all.​

For a real answer now.... from the people who have moved all over the gosh darned place.

You know where you want to live.. for now at least.. thats great! Step # 1.. down.

Step # 2... examine your time frame. How much time do you have until you have to/ want to move?

Step # 3... Craigslist.. those rental freebie booklet things you find outside of restaraunts and such... realtors.. other websites (lots of websites)... get cracking on trying to find a places to look at, lots of places, before you even get there. You could, if you knew someone in the area you are moving to, ask them to check out some of the most promising places for you in person.. then snap the place up before you get there. But you want to at least have someone you know to have seen it in person.

Step # 4... Whats your credit like... for renting, they will be examining one thing mostly making sure you haven't been evicted from somewhere before.. doesent sound like it. Although, depending on the rentor.. they might be interested in all aspects of your credit, save probably, medical bills.
A rental will most likely want to see proof of income and your work history.. how long you've been at this or that job, ect. Qualifying for a place is often the most pain-in-the-bum part of the whole process .Avoid, avoid, avoid, AVOID places that want an 'application fee'... Did I say that strongly enough? We have had so much trouble with these places... even if they say they are 'fully refundable' if you are not approved.. they most of the time wont give it back! It is often something like, $50 a person.... so theres $100 down the drain you could have put towards your new place.

Step #5... Money... In our economy.. in our area... a lot of places are doing 'free months rent, deposit only' type deals... thats something to look out for. Typically though.. a rental will want, first months rent, security deposit (most often the amount of one months rent, to cover possible damages) and last months rent. Again, with our economy.. its common (depending on area) to find a lot of places looking for only first months rent and the security deposit.

Step #6... Make sure the new place will fit your needs and your budget! It's a pain on both sides of that line... having to live out a 1 year lease somewhere you are not happy is a pain... and not being able to afford a place you like without scrimping and working your bum off is a pain.

Step #7... Perhaps not something you want to think about... how solid is your BF/GF relationship? You don't want to be stuck with both your names on a year lease, meaning you both are legally responsible for everything if you end up breaking up in a few months. No offense.. its just something to be carefully thought about. You two may want to pick which one of you wants the new location more.. has better credit, or whatever.. and just have their name on the lease. Although... with lower incomes that is harder because you may need both your incomes to qualify.

Step #8... Inventory, or mental inventory of your things you want to move with you. Unless you happen to have a pick-up, and all your stuff will fit in that pick-up.. then one of you will need to drive the car, if you have a car.. and the other the U-haul.. if you end up getting a U-haul. It's generally no to much money for a one day.. I forget how much now.. but you'll need to factor in the time it takes to load your stuff, travel to the new locale, and unload the stuff.. into how much you have to spend on that part.

Ps- I meant 'my real answer' not real answer compared to anyone else's... LOL!
Edited to fix something that didn't make sense. If anything else doesen't make sense... just assume it does
roll.png

Last edited:
True story...

DH and I wanted to move somewhere warmer (we lived in NY) so we narrowed down our choices very scientifically...
Florida: too many bugs
Georgia: Eh, didnt have any appeal
Penn: Too hilly
Tennessee: Family there
Ohio: still snowy
Alabama: too hot and too sticky
North and South Carolina: maybe but not near the coast, I have Hurricane issues
Virginia: Far from DC would be ok, I have terrorist issues

Opened the atlas, closed my eyes, and pointed.
Finger landed on Abingdon, VA

Put house up for sale
Put in transfer papers for DH's job
Drove to Abingdon, VA
Rented a townhouse
Drove to NY
Rented a U-haul
Packed some boxes and 3 kids and headed to VA.

Whole process took 90 days.

Quote:
I actually did research and found an opening at a Pizza Hut (anyone can work at Pizza Hut) that I applied for. I obviously put my address as my Indiana address and almost immediately got an e-mail back saying that "I did not fit the requirements for the Pizza Hut team." I'm almost positive that it was because I live in a different state.
hmm.png

I used to be a Hostess and now work in as a Data Entry Keyer. I'm also in school majoring in Business Administration with my main focus on Medical Management. If that helps at all.

Ouch! Turned down by pizza hut !Keep trying.

Quote:
Thanks.
big_smile.png

Well, we thought about trying to move this summer...but probably won't happen until next Spring. I don't have credit. Neither does he. He has no bills in his name, but I do have my car insurance in my own name (if that could count). He's been seasonal at work for two years, I have been for one, so we don't have steady income (that we can proove). During the Spring/Summer/Fall we help his dad doing landscaping work and we do snow removal in the Winter. Our relationship is very solid. We've been together for years and are planning to get married, but weddings cost money so we're putting it off.
hide.gif
Plus we already live together so we decided we might as well be married. We'd also have to rent a U-Haul and have someone drive one of our vehicles down there. We really want to move down there, but it's been such a pain to find employment, plus we don't have the extra funds to put money down on a house. Not even a rental..
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom