The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

Yah I hope so! I had 2 frizzle roosters and they really liked my Araucana hen...I got rid of them because they were mean. Buy I wanted more Frizzles so I put the Araucanas eggs under a broody hen and the hatched!

Very Nice!
thumbsup.gif

Oh - well.... I guess we shouldn't be able to miss those clues, right? :) We keep comparing them to the early pictures of their daddy, before we recognized him as a rooster... He looks more roosterish to us in the old pics than we recognized at the time... and more than these do... we think. But hindsight is 20:20. Here's their daddy as a baby. And he did become our magnificent rooster. :) Maybe 4 weeks? And this is at about seven weeks? This was the day he crowed and we realized he was a rooster. More experienced eyes would have seen it sooner. We weren't looking, and they all looked so different, being all different breeds, we didn't realize it til.. "did you just hear that? What was that?!"
It is obvious in his 4 week picture that he is a cockerel.

Hey Everyone! Great idea to condense into one thread!
A couple of weeks ago, we came into a few chickens. All was going well until we realised we may have a couple of roos on our hands.
These are driving me nuts. They are absolutely gorgeous and I almost don't want to believe they're roos! According to the family we got them from, they are roughly 4 month old pullets.
We did have one that I was certain on - crowing, feathers, mounting the others, being aggressive - but unfortunately, despite our efforts, we lost him in the heat this week.
So here are our remaining chooks, I'm fairly sure our big white friend is a rooster given hackles, saddle etc. But I'd love to have some more experienced eyes on them.

edit: had some new hampshires visit and they towered over the poor girls, picked on them too.

Last edited:
I have 2 Naked Necks & a Maran I'm not sure about. This is the first time I've had these breeds so not sure of what to look for except the obvious laying eggs, crowing, or mating. Any input would be appreciated.

This is Pickles. According to what I was told is about 17 weeks old.

This is Chipmunk. About 17 weeks old.

This is my Maran, Ebony. About 14 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom