The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

OK - I've had my own thread, but I'll post them here too, to help get the ball rolling. :) We think we know... but always want to be sure as soon as we can be sure!

I think these chicks are about six weeks old now, pics taken this week. They look very similar, one is a little lighter in the neck and cape area.

These are two chicks hatched by our broody Buff Orpington, but they probably came from our Golden Laced Wyandotte hen and definitely from our Easter Egger Rooster.

The lighter one...

The darker one.

Pics of daddy, and the probable birth mother (pic taken when she was fitted with her saddle), in case they're helpful.

I think your darker one is a cockerel. Those are some pretty thick legs there.

OK - here's a pic of both of their backs...

May not be the best angle... I'll try to get more as we go :) The little things rarely hold still to pose ;)

We'll update as they mature, I'm sure! We appreciate your eyes and opinions.

I'm greener than many of you, but whatever they are, we think they are the same. Their feathering seems identical. We're not seeing any sign of saddle feathers when we look, in person.

We'd love to have two girls, then we don't have to decide anything except bets on what color their eggs will be.

Last edited:
Oh - well.... I guess we shouldn't be able to miss those clues, right?
smile.png

We keep comparing them to the early pictures of their daddy, before we recognized him as a rooster... He looks more roosterish to us in the old pics than we recognized at the time... and more than these do... we think. But hindsight is 20:20.

Here's their daddy as a baby. And he did become our magnificent rooster. :)

Maybe 4 weeks?

And this is at about seven weeks? This was the day he crowed and we realized he was a rooster. More experienced eyes would have seen it sooner. We weren't looking, and they all looked so different, being all different breeds, we didn't realize it til.. "did you just hear that? What was that?!"

Last edited:
I have 2 frizzled Araucanas. They are both 3 months old. Does anybody know if they are pullets or roosters? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom