The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

4 week old silver laced polish

Hello all,

I posted my Q earlier on a Barred Rock sexing thread but no answers yet. Now I have found this thread. Here are my almost 4 week old BR's. One much lighter than the others, with light colored legs and a pinker, larger comb.

Can anyone help me as we have a chance to get a roo from a neighbor but don't want to if we already have one in the bunch.

Thank you for helping.

The one without it's head showing is the one in question, this is a leg photo to show it's legs are lighter.

Here it is in the center being all lighter colored than the others.

Here you can see it's little comb that is larger and pinker than the one in front.

Thanks for looking.

Hello all, I posted my Q earlier on a Barred Rock sexing thread but no answers yet. Now I have found this thread. Here are my almost 4 week old BR's. One much lighter than the others, with light colored legs and a pinker, larger comb. Can anyone help me as we have a chance to get a roo from a neighbor but don't want to if we already have one in the bunch. Thank you for helping. The one without it's head showing is the one in question, this is a leg photo to show it's legs are lighter. Here it is in the center being all lighter colored than the others. Here you can see it's little comb that is larger and pinker than the one in front. Thanks for looking.
Rooster. It is the whiteness of the barring which is the "rooster sign" with BRs. Notice your pullets are much darker. Also, roosters that are BR tend to have orange legs instead of the black tinted ones that females have although it can go either way, unlike the brighter barring. The whiter barring is a rooster trait and the darker barring is a pullet trait. Anyways, he's a rooster. Handle him as much as possible. My BR roo turned out to be SO friendly. I handled him a lot as a chick. I could carry him around all day if I wanted :lol:

Thank you for your reply. I had a feeling as I have been doing some studying up.
He's quite the little protector already. When I am gathering them up for their trip outdoors he runs around pecking at my hand and having a little fit.
The Buffs and the other BR's come right to me, I handle them and pet them all daily. I talk and pip pip pip to each one. He is fine once I am holding him but does not like to see the others gathered up and taken out of the pen.

The feed store we went to only deals in "pullets" they said, but I had already read that 100% cannot be guaranteed w/o DNA.

Anyway, thanks for your help and we're pretty happy about it being an "Earl" now instead of a "Rosey".

Back
Top Bottom