The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

Hello All

My little chicks are growing fast I posted in January when they were 4 weeks old. One is confirmed as a roo but I thought I would post pictures of them to see if any are showing any Roo signs now they are 12/13 weeks old.

How accurate is 'leg size' as a method of sexing young chicks? I have some 2-3 week old silverlaced wynadottes and I think my favorite might be a boy. :/ It's legs are much thicker than one of the other chicks, same age and breed.

We'd have to see pics, I find that no one thing is a good indicator for males, I look for a combination of things, comb growth and width, leg thickness, attitudes to the other, feathering speed (males tend to feather slower and in different areas to females.)

We'd have to see pics, I find that no one thing is a good indicator for males, I look for a combination of things, comb growth and width, leg thickness, attitudes to the other, feathering speed (males tend to feather slower and in different areas to females.)

Ok, I'll take a few good pictures soon. They all three seem to be feathering at the same rate, and other than the fact that one has a single comb instead of the rose comb all the comb sizes seem similar, but like I said they're still very young. Thank you!

I must chime in and say that it is REALLY helpful to newbies like me when people who post questionable chicks on here come back later and give us the pullet/rooster verdict once they know for sure (egg or crowing).

Any guesses of sex of the this one? It's 6.5 weeks old.

I'd need a better picture of the head to be sure but I am thinking roo as its comb is very pink for six and a half weeks. If you look earlier up the page you'll see Brissy 13 week olds don't even look that pink in the comb so I inclined to believe roo.
:)

I couldn't get the silver laced chicks to hold still, but I have a Rhode island red I'm also very suspicious of. It's about 2.5-3 weeks old. Here's some pics:

Chick in question:

Another chick for comparison, same breed/age:

Back
Top Bottom