The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

What about this 2.5 week old chick? I think it is a cockerel because it's comb is wide and full, and the legs are very hefty.
It is supposed to be an Ameraucana X marans mix if that helps.

It's too early to tell but I agree with you that those features indicate roo.
Thank you. I'll keep an eye on this one. I wonder if there is any way to tell if the mom of this group was a blue splash marans, or a cuckoo marans. I was told it could be either one be the person I got them from. And the father is supposed to be a pure Ameraucana. How will I know? Thanks.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'll keep an eye on this one. I wonder if there is any way to tell if the mom of this group was a blue splash marans, or a cuckoo marans. I was told it could be either one be the person I got them from. And the father is supposed to be a pure Ameraucana. How will I know? Thanks.

It looks more blue splash Marans than cuckoo at the moment.

Jesse at almost five weeks. Still looks like a pullet, what do y'all think?

We're completely new to chickens. Curious to know if anyone can tell me if we have a roo. These chicks are two weeks old. Two have the start of feathers coming in and one is still downy. The downy one is also the most curious when trying to take pics! If anyone can guess on the breed that would be great too. We were told barred rocks but they are clearly not.

Would love opinions. My 4 week old blue maran has a Comb that is pretty big but no pink or red. S/he is probably the most skittish of all the chicks.

We're completely new to chickens. Curious to know if anyone can tell me if we have a roo. These chicks are two weeks old. Two have the start of feathers coming in and one is still downy. The downy one is also the most curious when trying to take pics! If anyone can guess on the breed that would be great too. We were told barred rocks but they are clearly not.

Those could be black sexlink pullets. Black sexlinks are a crossbreed most commonly using Barred Rock hens bred with a non-white, non-barred rooster, to produce chicks that can be sexed at hatch. Males have a white head spot indicating barring.
If none of the combs turn pink by 8 weeks old, it's safe to say they're pullets.

Hi could you tell me if mine are hens of Roos? They are 5 weeks old. I have one golden sea right bantam and one black production. Thanks![VIDEO]

[/VIDEO]

Back
Top Bottom