The big old molt questions

JensChickies

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2014
California
Good morning BYCers! Counseled questions about molting. I know going into fall chickens start to molt. My girls have not started yet. Is this normal?? Do they always molt in the begging of fall? This is my first fall with my girls so I was just wondering.

I found that the timing is not cast in stone. Mine in past have molted in mid winter, but this year they started in last month. As long their demeaner is normal, eating and pooping normally, there is nothing to worry about.

By the way, this flock is 3 years old and they are losing a lot more than previous years.

Good morning BYCers! Counseled questions about molting. I know going into fall chickens start to molt. My girls have not started yet. Is this normal?? Do they always molt in the begging of fall? This is my first fall with my girls so I was just wondering.

When you say this is your first year with your birds - did you get them this spring as chicks or did you obtain them as already grown birds? This will play into whether or not they will likely molt at this point. If they were spring chicks, then you would be looking for their first big molt to occur next fall, at about the 18 month mark.

When you say this is your first year with your birds - did you get them this spring as chicks or did you obtain them as already grown birds?  This will play into whether or not they will likely molt at this point.  If they were spring chicks, then you would be looking for their first big molt to occur next fall, at about the 18 month mark.

Ahhhhhh yes. They were chicks in spring. Thank you for helping me. :)

I found that the timing is not cast in stone.  Mine in past have molted in mid winter, but this year they started in last month.  As long their demeaner is normal, eating and pooping normally, there is nothing to worry about.

By the way, this flock is 3 years old and they are losing a lot more than previous years.

Thank you!

Actually, if you had them from chicks, you might have seen them molted once. It is called juvenile molt. They go from baby chick fuzz to small feathers then to big feathers. This happens before laying starts.

I was not aware of such molt because while there were a lot of feathers, the pullets were all healthy and vibrant. Until someone on this site posted an inquiry.

Actually, if you had them from chicks, you might have seen them molted once.  It is called juvenile molt.  They go from baby chick fuzz to small feathers then to big feathers.  This happens before laying starts.

I was not aware of such molt because while there were a lot of feathers, the pullets were all healthy and vibrant.  Until someone on this site posted an inquiry.

Yes! One of my girls lost her baby feathers and it freaked me out thinking there was something wrong with her. Thank you for the information

Back
Top Bottom