The Blues as a color, with some basic discription and pictures.

Quote:
he looks like heterozygous for dominant white..

Thanks for all the help! The Naked Neck you posted looks similar to some of the other cochin chicks I have, but mine have a lot more of the buff color on their chests. The hens I have are black, blue, and brown-red. If he's heterozygous white, would any of these combinations be likely to produce more birds similar in color to him?

Quote:
he looks like heterozygous for dominant white..

Thanks for all the help! The Naked Neck you posted looks similar to some of the other cochin chicks I have, but mine have a lot more of the buff color on their chests. The hens I have are black, blue, and brown-red. If he's heterozygous white, would any of these combinations be likely to produce more birds similar in color to him?

Yes..

some more on how Heterozygous dominant white can sometimes appear as lavender
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Yes..

some more on how Heterozygous dominant white can sometimes appear as lavender
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting. Yep, I think I'll definitely keep that rooster and use him for a breeding project in the future. Thanks, again!

Last edited:
I will have to get a better picture of her but here is a head shot of a Brahma cross hen that show how Blue can very.
Note the Steel (almost Platinum) Blue color.

33115_dsc_1138.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
Phenotype is a fancy word that means appearance, and is not necessarily specifically related to the genotype, which is the genetic makeup.

Just as there are many recipes for chocolate cake (including ones that use carob rather than chocolate or cocoa for flavouring), there can be multiple recipes for a single phenotype.

The standard describes the phenotype, not usually a required genotype.

Quote:
While I understand what you are saying, I think it (referring to a Blue with lacing bred out as a Self-Blue) may add to the confusion that already exists regarding Self-Blue (lav). I think discussing the genotype for Self-Blues may be just as important as the phenotype for Self-Blues.

Self Blue (lav) x Self Blue (lav) = 100% Self Blue (lav)

Self Blue (Bl w/no lacing) x SelfBlue (Bl w/no lacing) = 50% Blue, 25% Splash, 25% Black

(Hope I have that correct.)

Quote:
While I understand what you are saying, I think it (referring to a Blue with lacing bred out as a Self-Blue) may add to the confusion that already exists regarding Self-Blue (lav). I think discussing the genotype for Self-Blues may be just as important as the phenotype for Self-Blues.

Self Blue (Bl w/no lacing) x SelfBlue (Bl w/no lacing) = 50% Blue, 25% Splash, 25% Black

What you have posted is correct.

I will trough this in there also
wink.png
(I know I'm being a
roll.png
)

There is a line of Self Blue that is bred solely from Splash. They look just like a Self Blue (Bl w/no lacing) and/ or a Self Blue (Lav) but will breed like a Splash.

Self Blue (bb Splash) to Self Blue(bb Splash) = 100% bb Splash

Chris

Quote:

What you have posted is correct.

I will trough this in there also
wink.png
(I know I'm being a
roll.png
)

There is a line of Self Blue that is bred solely from Splash. They look just like a Self Blue (Bl w/no lacing) and/ or a Self Blue (Lav) but will breed like a Splash.

Self Blue (bb Splash) to Self Blue(bb Splash) = 100% bb Splash

Chris

I believe this is what you have in mind.. wich is a blue andalucian without lacing

LightBlue.jpg

Back
Top Bottom