The BRavest Pony's hero: The toughest horse in the world

My Fjord, Ole, just cast himself against the fence this morning - while I was 20 feet away. I'd put him out for the morning while I cleaned stalls, and he rolled too close to the fence.

*sigh*

He got his legs tangled up in the fence and gate and was jammed up close...and I saw it immediately. I gave him a second or two to see if he could manage to untangle himself, but it was clear he couldn't.

My husband had just left to gas-up the car so I was on my own. I ran and grabbed the lunge line and quietly, calmly walked up and removed the hoof from where it was tangled in the gate (not too hard, thank god!), and then swung the gate open - hoping he could then free himself the rest of the way. He couldn't.

He kept looking at me - wide-eyed, but not panicking. I talked to him, and told him whoa...and looped the lunge-line around the back leg - my husband got home just in time and looped a leadline over his fore-leg closest to the ground, and we 1 -2 -3 PULLED him over.

I want to say, bless this horse for remaining calm....and for trusting us to get him out of his predicament. It could have gone very, very badly - in a very short time. He just never panicked. If he had - it would have been very dangerous for not just him...he could have really hurt one of us.

He let me handle and manipulate his feet without kicking or struggling.

I was shaking for a good 5 minutes after it was all over. So scary.

I love this little horse. So much. And I'm so glad he - and your horse are ok!

Yes, and most folks don't have a backhoe or big tractor, which can sometimes help to uncast a horse.

Though when I see the 'horse rescues' on TV, it appears to me that the rescuers are very much unknowledgeable volunteers, who are doing everything they possibly can to tear every single tendon and ligament in the horse's legs.

Most of the rescues I see look like a lot of people just showed up. But honestly, even the trained rescue people are putting an awful lot of stress on the horse's legs. I'd rather have a very experienced equine vet there directing the operation - but practically speaking, how often can that happen?

Back
Top Bottom