THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

I'm having trouble keeping the humidity stable. When I tilt it, depending on which way it's turned depends on the humidity. For example, turned backwards, the humidity rises up to 60%, not turned humidity stays about 50%(and it constantly changes) , and forward, well, I don't really know. Overnight is "scary" for me, because I don't know what it will be in the morning. The past several nights I go to bed and it's at 60% and in the morning it's 40%. The lid is on correctly, I check every time I open it. And when I tilt it either way it spills out. And I'm not filling very high. About 3/4

I'm having trouble keeping the humidity stable. When I tilt it, depending on which way it's turned depends on the humidity. For example, turned backwards, the humidity rises up to 60%, not turned humidity stays about 50%(and it constantly changes) , and forward, well, I don't really know. Overnight is "scary" for me, because I don't know what it will be in the morning. The past several nights I go to bed and it's at 60% and in the morning it's 40%. The lid is on correctly, I check every time I open it. And when I tilt it either way it spills out. And I'm not filling very high. About 3/4

I add water when it's tilted, or try to. If it's over filled and then tilted, spills, it extends beyond the surface area of one trough and increases humidity. I did have to add a sponge to the one trough to increase and stabilize humidity.

Quote:
X2 on the sponge. To keep my humidity up during hatching, but you could do this any time during incubation
Just wanted to add Brinsea sells either strips or sheets that can be cut into strips to add to their wells so the humidity is distributed better. I don't think these are reusable while with washing, the sponges in containers are. When I'm done with them I wash them, let them dry then pack them up for the next time.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks @dekel18042 and @Annjee. I have a peice of felt draped into both channels. I put the humidifier back in the room last night because it's really dry.
Lockdown is Wednesday!! So eggcited!

I add water when it's tilted, or try to. If it's over filled and then tilted, spills, it extends beyond the surface area of one trough and increases humidity. I did have to add a sponge to the one trough to increase and stabilize humidity.
goodpost.gif

Can't recall if I mentioned it in an earlier post, so forgive me if I repeat myself: Brinsea sells the humidifier tubing by the foot. It's around $2/ft. I had gotten aquarium tubing which did not fit. I ordered 3 ft to thread thru to the troughs or whatever to funnel water inside during lockdown. I'll let u know how it works when I receive it.

I also start lockdown on Wednesday for my first 15. The second octagon is supposed to arrive today. Hoping all goes well. I'm so nervous about the humidity thing. I started with 20-30% for the first week, considered it would be a mistake then increased 40-42%. My orphington eggs are right on target for wt loss, my d'uccles have been more than expected which concerns me. I do read that bantams often hatch early, the air cells were a mess when I received them. One still moves a bit. Hoping for at least 50%.

I'm aiming for 65% at lockdown and have taken measures in preparation. But, certainly I'm nervous.

Input is welcome... I would like to know- since I'm using another as a hatcher, do yall recommend that I drop the temp to 98? 98.5? I have read to decrease the temp a bit. Thank you

Last edited:
I also start lockdown on Wednesday for my first 15. The second octagon is supposed to arrive today. Hoping all goes well. I'm so nervous about the humidity thing. I started with 20-30% for the first week, considered it would be a mistake then increased 40-42%. My orphington eggs are right on target for wt loss, my d'uccles have been more than expected which concerns me. I do read that bantams often hatch early, the air cells were a mess when I received them. One still moves a bit. Hoping for at least 50%.

I'm aiming for 65% at lockdown and have taken measures in preparation. But, certainly I'm nervous.

Input is welcome... I would like to know- since I'm using another as a hatcher, do yall recommend that I drop the temp to 98? 98.5? I have read to decrease the temp a bit. Thank you
Some people do, I don't. I don't think it's necessary

:) Thank you! I'm so nervous about getting the humidity right when there seems to be such differing opinions.

Also, the one cracked eggs (sealed with wax and put in a Little Giant) is so much warmer - due to insane fluctuations of temp, smh. Anyway, it's a Maran (not sure which type of Maran as the breeder has a few. Anyway, candled it a couple days back and assumed it was dead but the little chick inside was moving all over. So, pleasant surprise since it is so dark could only see the air cell before. The other eggs are in my Brinsea octagon. The temp is steady 99.5, though certainly there are warm and cooler spots. The chicks move around in these eggs too, but not quite as active. Is the logic that it's development is faster? Is it expected to be stronger (assuming it hatches). Just curious.

:) Thank you! I'm so nervous about getting the humidity right when there seems to be such differing opinions.

Also, the one cracked eggs (sealed with wax and put in a Little Giant) is so much warmer - due to insane fluctuations of temp, smh. Anyway, it's a Maran (not sure which type of Maran as the breeder has a few. Anyway, candled it a couple days back and assumed it was dead but the little chick inside was moving all over. So, pleasant surprise since it is so dark could only see the air cell before. The other eggs are in my Brinsea octagon. The temp is steady 99.5, though certainly there are warm and cooler spots. The chicks move around in these eggs too, but not quite as active. Is the logic that it's development is faster? Is it expected to be stronger (assuming it hatches). Just curious.
I never candle an egg long enough to see if they are active or not, but if temp and humidity were fairly equal between the two I would assume development is similar. I wouldn't worry myself over just how active they were. As far as the difference in humidities people run, it's imortant to note that the difference between my humidity and AmyLynn's "dry" incubation is only about 5%

Back
Top Bottom