THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

I know this isn't a hatching thread, but I have a question. I posted it in another thread as well, but it seemed kind of quiet.

Tomorrow is day 25. (I have duck eggs) That's lockdown, correct? If so, then I'll turn tonight, then tomorrow morning I'll turn so it's at the normal position. Then I should take the bars out, fill channels and wait? And once some hatch (if they hatch) I should wait up to 24 hours before moving them to brooder?

I know this isn't a hatching thread, but I have a question. I posted it in another thread as well, but it seemed kind of quiet.

Tomorrow is day 25. (I have duck eggs) That's lockdown, correct? If so, then I'll turn tonight, then tomorrow morning I'll turn so it's at the normal position. Then I should take the bars out, fill channels and wait? And once some hatch (if they hatch) I should wait up to 24 hours before moving them to brooder?

Hopefully, someone more experienced will chime in. But, if tomorrow is lockdown, it starts from the same time that you initially set the eggs. Yes, fill the channels (put in sponges etc as needed in the troughs) to increase humidity to desired level. Take the racks out, some lay on their sides, Others prefer egg cartons to keep position and wait.

I need help quickly and the hatch in thread j posted in is really quiet. My humidity went down to 40% last night and this morning I opened it to put more water in and take out the bars, and it appears at least 3 duck eggs have already made a little crack with their beak. Will they die? It's only day 25 for them!

I need help quickly and the hatch in thread j posted in is really quiet. My humidity went down to 40% last night and this morning I opened it to put more water in and take out the bars, and it appears at least 3 duck eggs have already made a little crack with their beak. Will they die? It's only day 25 for them!

Since no one else has answered I'm taking a shot at this. I have the Brinsea and this is what I would do if they were chickens. Try to get the humidity up (Can you drip water onto a sponge or paper towel inside. Try to make sure the pip is up (I have lost peeps when the egg got rolled pip side down and I didn't realize there was a pip) and see what happens from there. Good luck, Hopefully someone familiar with ducks will chime in.

Last edited:
I have no experience with ducks, so I can't help with that, but I don't think the overnight humidity would have affected them is it's just small pips. The brinsea humidity will come up quickly once you added the water, so I would think that you are probably ok

Ok thanks everybody. Humidity is at 60% now, temp about 99.

Is there any problem with using dirt in the brooder or hay? Cause I have plenty of those but no shavings

Ok thanks everybody. Humidity is at 60% now, temp about 99.

Is there any problem with using dirt in the brooder or hay? Cause I have plenty of those but no shavings
Given those 2 choices, I would go with hay. The dirt will retain too much moisture. The hay will help absorb, but will mat much more quickly than shavings. Just keep it fresh

Back
Top Bottom