THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

@RubyNala97

Just in case I missed it, do you have both the 20 and the mini?  And you like the mini better?

Also - do you let them hatch in the mini or do you use something else for hatching?

Thanks  :pop

Yes, I have both. I like the mini much better then the 20. I just wish it was bigger. I can only fit about a dozen eggs in the mini. I do use the mini as the hatcher also. It has an amazing view for hatching and holds humidity great for all of lockdown. I'm thinking of using the 20 as an incubator and getting a still air hatcher. The fan is so strong on the 20, it just kicks humidity right out.

I'm extremely excited that my next hatch in the mini will be call duck eggs!

RubyNala- Try taping the edges of your incubator lid. I have 3 Brinseas and I have paper towels under the tray covering the bottom during lockdown and I tape the lid edges with painters tape to help hold humidity. I live in the desert so everything dries crazy fast. I also do it so my kids don't walk by and pop open the lid during hatches when they hear the first peeps. Lol

Yes, I have both. I like the mini much better then the 20. I just wish it was bigger. I can only fit about a dozen eggs in the mini. I do use the mini as the hatcher also. It has an amazing view for hatching and holds humidity great for all of lockdown. I'm thinking of using the 20 as an incubator and getting a still air hatcher. The fan is so strong on the 20, it just kicks humidity right out.

I'm extremely excited that my next hatch in the mini will be call duck eggs!

Are these the call eggs that you were going to order before, or ones from a friend? That's exciting!

RubyNala- Try taping the edges of your incubator lid. I have 3 Brinseas and I have paper towels under the tray covering the bottom during lockdown and I tape the lid edges with painters tape to help hold humidity. I live in the desert so everything dries crazy fast. I also do it so my kids don't walk by and pop open the lid during hatches when they hear the first peeps. Lol

Never thought about moisture loss from under the lid. Mine seems like it seals well, but you could be on to something!

WVduckchick- when the tape is on and I leave a little crack at the bottom of the lid all the moisture collects there. It's crazy. I don't know about your humidity level where you live but we don't hit above 1% unless it's raining. Lol I also don't have to worry about adding any water to the little slots when I tape. Waking up on day 20 with no humidity in the incubator isn't a good feeling. Ha!

Last edited:
I have the Advance EX with the pump, and live where its plenty humid (too much so in the summer ugh!) so its not a problem for me, but I could see it as a great suggestion for some in dryer climates like yourself.

We are very dry in Western NE, the humidifier helps some, too.

Came home after work and the incubator was at 85 and really loud. Pretty sure my eggs are toast. I don't have an open incubator to move my eggs to. I moved them to an incubator that is on lock down. Anyone ever done this and they were ok.

Came home after work and the incubator was at 85 and really loud.   Pretty sure my eggs are toast.  I don't have an open incubator to move my eggs to. I moved them to an incubator that is on lock down.  Anyone ever done this and they were ok.

They should be fine. Just keep your vents open once you pull the chicks to help with the extra moisture in the egg. I've done staggered hatches with no effect. :)

They should be fine. Just keep your vents open once you pull the chicks to help with the extra moisture in the egg. I've done staggered hatches with no effect.
smile.png
Thanks. Live and learn, I thought because it was a brinsea I could trust it. Anyone else have this happen. I purchased it through amazon so I hope the return will be easy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom