The Broody Duck Thread for 2014

Thanks fro the reply miss Lydia, what if we take the ducklings out that are hatching and put them into a brooder?
It's up to you but giving them back might not work and to me it's important that mama has the chance to raise them she can do a much better job than us, that is unless you don't plan to keep them. You're going have a problem either way if you want the mama duck to raise them all, the first set to hatch will be quite a bit larger than the late ones to hatch which may make it hard on the late ones because of size difference being able to keep up and larger ducklings can be rather cruel to younger ones. You know your just going to have to make decisions as they come here. How many either way?

it'll be 5 hatching today and possibly another 9 on Thursday/Friday. we were thinking of raising the 9 ourselves, specially as they're not her own breed, we just made her sit on them till they hatch. the problem is, our incubator may not turn up in time

I think that's a wise decision, let her raise these and ya'll take the other 9 to raise. Where's your incubator? They are so adorable, and it would be such a shame to take them from mama. Congrats!!

We only realized end of last week when I candled that there was going to be this big a difference in hatch date so quickly ordered an incubator but not sure if it'll arrive in time, I can set up a box and light but not sure how to keep humidity correct like that.... also, do I risk it and leave them under her as long as possible and hope it turns up in time or take them now and put them into something homemade/temporary??

We only realized end of last week when I candled that there was going to be this big a difference in hatch date so quickly ordered an incubator but not sure if it'll arrive in time, I can set up a box and light but not sure how to keep humidity correct like that.... also, do I risk it and leave them under her as long as possible and hope it turns up in time or take them now and put them into something homemade/temporary??
Ducklings just hatched they won't eat for 24 hrs so that will be sometime today, put food and water close by so mama doesn't have to go far she will probably stay on the rest of the eggs at least 2-3 days hopefully that will give you time to get the bator set up, I had one of my Scovy's hatch and stay on her nest 3 days after first duckling hatched with food and water close. I'd leave them to the last minute.

I have fawn and white indian runners and they have started laying eggs, I have 33 eggs in the incubator and my plan is to let a hen sit on the next clutch of eggs and I will sell the other eggs. Does anyone know if indian runners go broody easily?

Last edited:
Have a question. Do you keep mom and duckling in a separate pins from other flock members and feed both starter grower? And if so for how long?

Last edited:
Have a question. Do you keep mom and duckling in a separate pins from other flock members and feed both starter grower? And if so for how long?
Yes better to keep mom and ducklings where they can be safe but where all can see each other I usually do it for 3 weeks and they can all be fed starter also, will help mom get back in shape from her long brood. I don't use starter any more I start them all off on flock raiser crumble then I don't have to buy separate feeds, seems they are to stay on starter for 3-4 weeks before changing? just keep mom on it it won't hurt her.

Back
Top Bottom