The Broody Duck Thread for 2014

thank you so much for the advice. the only thing i'm not sure of is how to keep the other duck out of the nest. can she tell which babies are hers when they hatch ? the eggs are different colors, one lays white eggs the other lays a blue/green egg. the duck that I think is going broody lays the white eggs.
She won't care who's babies are who's when they hatch they'll all be hers and she will be their mama. imprinting is very strong. I don't know of any way to keep the other ducks out of her nest other than making a place just for her the others can't get into, Right now i have to go everyday and remove the eggs my ducks and chickens add to my broody's nest. But if you mark the eggs she has when she first starts to sit you will know the new ones added.

She will normally "lockdown", sit and not move, but not always. Some Momma's get off the nest right up to hatch, but I've only seen that in really hot weather.

Maybe that's why she was off a lot today; the weather was rather warm. I felt like everytime I went outside she was off the nest. Gah. she's driving me insane. Making me worry, but I know that mama knows best. I hope.

Maybe that's why she was off a lot today; the weather was rather warm. I felt like everytime I went outside she was off the nest. Gah. she's driving me insane. Making me worry, but I know that mama knows best. I hope.
She does and she knows not to over cook also. Have you peeked at the eggs? or actually candled any and sometimes when internally pipped you can hear peeping.
smile.png

Ill try to get a look at the eggs today. even when she's off the nest she's watching my every move. Tips for candling? Besides not dropping them.
Isn't she close to hatch day or has it passed? can't remember. you have to take the eggs into a dark closet of room to candle so i'm thinking if it's very close to hatch and she may get upset but if you still want to take a couple eggs at a time I have a little basket with a soft hand towel I put the eggs inside and cover the eggs up I take mine into the feed room since it's very dark in there if I leave the light off. Place a really good LED flash light up to the fat end of the egg with your hand cupped around both to help you see inside better. you'll either see movement or maybe even duckling already pipped into air sac. sometime all you can see is just blk filling up the egg except air sac, if close to pip air sac will be tilted. listen to the eggs too, you'll just have to play it by ear on the candling at this stage. When you take the eggs in to candle mark with pen or pencil so you won't pick up the same eggs again. I usually use a washable marker and start with #1.Some of my broody's will let me stick my hand under them and borrow the eggs for candling but I usually wait till they are outside before I go in a get the eggs.I have an egg candling chart some where i'll go see if i can find it. http://wildliferehabber.com/candling-eggs

Last edited:
Isn't she close to hatch day or has it passed? can't remember. you have to take the eggs into a dark closet of room to candle so i'm thinking if it's very close to hatch and she may get upset but if you still want to take a couple eggs at a time I have a little basket with a soft hand towel I put the eggs inside and cover the eggs up I take mine into the feed room since it's very dark in there if I leave the light off. Place a really good LED flash light up to the fat end of the egg with your hand cupped around both to help you see inside better. you'll either see movement or maybe even duckling already pipped into air sac. sometime all you can see is just blk filling up the egg except air sac, if close to pip air sac will be tilted. listen to the eggs too, you'll just have to play it by ear on the candling at this stage. When you take the eggs in to candle mark with pen or pencil so you won't pick up the same eggs again. I usually use a washable marker and start with #1.Some of my broody's will let me stick my hand under them and borrow the eggs for candling but I usually wait till they are outside before I go in a get the eggs.I have an egg candling chart some where i'll go see if i can find it. http://wildliferehabber.com/candling-eggs
I ABOUT NEARLY HAD A HEART ATTACK! I was candling them and I heard a little peep. So I stuck my ear up to it and I can hear it chipping at the shell. It's like touching a pregnant lady's belly and feeling the kick- without being awkward. OMG THIS IS SUCH AN AMAZING THING. Some of the larger eggs looked like they were past day 24 or so, and some just looked empty. I'll have to wait and see I guess!

I asked before I took a look...
0.jpg

Also, anyone know whats up with this dinosaur textured egg?

OK so i'm assuming if i hear little peeps and chips hatch day is nearing? I dont know if mama will continuously sit though, its been pretty warm here.
wee.gif

I ABOUT NEARLY HAD A HEART ATTACK! I was candling them and I heard a little peep. So I stuck my ear up to it and I can hear it chipping at the shell. It's like touching a pregnant lady's belly and feeling the kick- without being awkward. OMG THIS IS SUCH AN AMAZING THING. Some of the larger eggs looked like they were past day 24 or so, and some just looked empty. I'll have to wait and see I guess!

I asked before I took a look...
0.jpg

Also, anyone know whats up with this dinosaur textured egg?

OK so i'm assuming if i hear little peeps and chips hatch day is nearing? I dont know if mama will continuously sit though, its been pretty warm here.
wee.gif
I'm thinking if she hears peeps she'll stay. Isn't that awesome to hear them inside the egg> that means they have internally pipped and are working on getting out of the eggs so leave them alone now so she can keep humidity up under her. Won't be long now.
thumbsup.gif

on the egg does it feel rough probably just built up calcium, i get them from time to time too.

Last edited:
I'm thinking if she hears peeps she'll stay. Isn't that awesome to hear them inside the egg> that means they have internally pipped and are working on getting out of the eggs so leave them alone now so she can keep humidity up under her. Won't be long now.
thumbsup.gif

on the egg does it feel rough probably just built up calcium, i get them from time to time too.
Patient Hat is on. I've read too many horror stories about people "helping" them hatch. My hands will be in my pockets. Bring on the ducklings!!!

Back
Top Bottom