The Broody Duck Thread for 2014

Patient Hat is on. I've read too many horror stories about people "helping" them hatch. My hands will be in my pockets. Bring on the ducklings!!!
caf.gif
fl.gif

My lightening is not coming out to even eat now, I haven't seen her out at all in a few days. I can't see into the doghouse as long as she's in it. I hear her in there, so she seems ok. Shouldn't she have to come out to ah, relieve herself?

I think Daddy is lonely without her, he just follows me around all day out there. I love his lil mohawk he gets.

My lightening is not coming out to even eat now, I haven't seen her out at all in a few days. I can't see into the doghouse as long as she's in it. I hear her in there, so she seems ok. Shouldn't she have to come out to ah, relieve herself?

I think Daddy is lonely without her, he just follows me around all day out there. I love his lil mohawk he gets.
If I know mine hasn't come out I will make them but I can walk in an pick mine up and carry them out fast because if you don't your going to get covered in broody poop. that's some nasty stuff. I close their door and usually they will eat drink and bathe real fast and go back in but at least they have done that. What a handsome fella, one of my drakes that has both his girls broody right now. Their sitting on fake eggs though but they don't know that.

Well, much to my disliking, I had to leave town for the past few days. I returned this afternoon and found two fluffy surprises!
TreeTrunks is still sitting, but these two are curious little peepers.

0.jpg
0.jpg

Well something is still going on under there for her to be still sitting so tightly, those ducklings are adorable...Congrats! and that hole plug it up so the duckling can't get through to the outside.

So my DH and DS picked the dog house straight up and I grabbed her out. She was not happy with me, but ran right into the pond and bathed. No poo anywhere, but she stunk bad, glad she got a bath. She came back in and went right back into the doghouse and didn't eat though. Now this morning I went out and there was one of the eggs about 4ft from the doghouse smashed. Just looked like a lil liquid and red streaks or veins or something. Did I maybe upset her so much she would kick one of the eggs out and smash it? I don't think I will be able to ever candle any if she's gonna get that upset and kick an egg out.
sad.png

One of my muscovies is about to become a first time mama! She chose a nest site that was narrow, so she could only go straight in and not back out, so it's been slowly working its way out from under cover. About a week ago, there were 7 eggs that got moved out into the elements, so I gathered them up and put them in the incubator. I think she still has about 11 or so in the nest.

Yesterday, the first one in the incubator hatched.
jumpy.gif
So I checked the nest when she was off eating, and the first egg I picked up was clicking, the second had already externally pipped, so I put them back and left the rest alone.

Can't wait to see what hatches! She's chocolate and white, and we're hoping for more chocolate coloring, even though our boys are black and white, blue and white, and tri-colored.
caf.gif

So my DH and DS picked the dog house straight up and I grabbed her out. She was not happy with me, but ran right into the pond and bathed. No poo anywhere, but she stunk bad, glad she got a bath. She came back in and went right back into the doghouse and didn't eat though. Now this morning I went out and there was one of the eggs about 4ft from the doghouse smashed. Just looked like a lil liquid and red streaks or veins or something. Did I maybe upset her so much she would kick one of the eggs out and smash it? I don't think I will be able to ever candle any if she's gonna get that upset and kick an egg out.
sad.png
She may have they can be tempermental but I've never had one push an egg out, well except that one time when my one broody was hatching and she grabbed her duckling by the head and slung him out of the nest, I had to get him out fast or she would have killed him. Best to just leave her alone hopefully she'll come out when she gets desperate enough. Sorry about the egg. Don't worry about candling either whats going to hatch will . sounds like you dif have fertile ones under her.

Back
Top Bottom