The Broody Duck Thread for 2014

I checked my chocolate and white girl's nest this morning while she was off eating breakfast. There were two very wet ducklings, one egg with a significant hole in it, and one egg that had hatched, but fallen out of the nest and the duckling was cold and not moving much. I rescued said duckling and put him in the incubator with his sister who hatched yesterday. Hoping he pulls through and that the rest will hatch okay.
fl.gif

None of the 4 that I fostered over to crazy mama looked like they had pipped yet.
caf.gif

Edit: Grammar
Aww I hope the lil one makes it, keep us updated.. and Congrats on more ducklings. wow.

its been three days since the two eggs hatched. TreeTrunks isn't sitting any more on the other eggs though. Does that mean she's done and happy with these litttle fluff butts?

It probably means the others weren't meant to make it so you can take the eggs out if you haven't already. They are so adorable I know you have to be in love. How are the rest of the flock behaving towards them?

Last edited:
Thanks!!  I had serious doubts that my broody was sitting on fertile eggs, so it was a nice surprise she hatched a trio of babies.  I have 3 more broody scovies plus two that could still go broody.... so I expect I'll have a few more ducklings hatched out at my place before season is over.   :D

I'm ordering a lavender Hinnie, ok? Or is it mule? I get mixed up. Congrats, they're so sweet.

I have duck pellets and corn in their now that they eat. What will I put in for the babies to eat when their born and do I get rid of the adult food so they don't eat it?
You've got half the run split off right? Just feed your adults on their side, and do the crumble per ML's directions on the broody Mom's side. That's what I do. Otherwise the adults will be stealing their starter etc etc etc.
congrats lbrykowski!

Buttless is a MOM! 3 little runners.are peeking out from under her today. There's a 4th egg that will hopefully hatch tomorrow. How long should I wait before letting the ducklings go to their new homes? I know big hatcheries let them go immediately but they don't have new moms to deal with - just big, unfeeling incubators. It's also my flock's 1st hatching & I don't want to upset the status quo - or something like that.

Buttless is a MOM! 3 little runners.are peeking out from under her today. There's a 4th egg that will hopefully hatch tomorrow. How long should I wait before letting the ducklings go to their new homes? I know big hatcheries let them go immediately but they don't have new moms to deal with - just big, unfeeling incubators. It's also my flock's 1st hatching & I don't want to upset the status quo - or something like that.
I'd give mom and ducklings at least 3 weeks together, by then she has taught them all she can and will begin to leave them on their own more and more.
Congrats on the littles Pics when you can.

You've got half the run split off right? Just feed your adults on their side, and do the crumble per ML's directions on the broody Mom's side. That's what I do. Otherwise the adults will be stealing their starter etc etc etc.
congrats lbrykowski!
Thanks, ya I had to separate her and fence it off cuz the Khaki's kept sticking their head in there and bothering her. lol I really hope she hatches a few and that they will look just like mom and dad. That is so long to have to just sit.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom